Timing chain jump/distributor needs to be replaced maybe? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Timing chain jump/distributor needs to be replaced maybe?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
severrin

Timing chain jump/distributor needs to be replaced maybe?

I'll try to provide as much information as I can.

I have a 98 Laredo 4.0 2wd, has just over 141,000 miles on it.

For the last few days (about two but not exactly sure) the engine would take longer than usual to turn over, but ran completely normal. Last night I was driving and it started acting weird when I'd come to a stop it would be slightly jerky when coming to a stop. I had to run to the store when I noticed this, when leaving the store I cranked the jeep up and it sounded like it was puffing air and the engine idle got very sporadic, it got so bad that I had to keep my foot on the gas pedal to keep the jeep cranked.

Finally had to drive it very slowly home about 20mph the whole way, was only maybe 3 miles from home. when I got home the first thing I did was check the fuel rail pressure valve, some air spurted out then fuel flowed evenly I was thinking maybe my filter was bad. Then I check the plug wires and distributor cleaned them, there was some rust powder on the #4 plug wire. After checking and cleaning the button I cranked it back up it still was running sporadic and sounding like it was missing/puffing air. when I hit the gas it would run fine but still had the puffing sound and when i took my hand off the gas it would die.

My plugs are black from carbon i cleaned them and it get a little better then a little worse. Then I thought about an old trick, I stuck a post card under the tail pipe while running and it would suck the post card to the exhaust tip.

I'm really hoping its only that i need new plugs wires and dist cap and button. But I also think that it could have jumped time, I've had actual timing chains slip before then metal does get worn and will lengthen a bit.

Has this happened to anyone before?

severrin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

I haven't heard of timing chains slipping on the I-6 very often. I would start with new plugs, wires, and distributor cap. I would also check your Idle Air Control Valve, since it controls the idle of the engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
severrin

ok dumb question. where would that be?
Unread 09-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by severrin View Post
ok dumb question. where would that be?
It is in the throttle body next to the butterfly valves. I think there is a writeup in the FAQ
Quote:
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Unread 09-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
severrin

ok I'll definitely do that. I plan on getting new plugs, wires, cap, button, coil, and timing chain just in case.

If it continues to do this what should I consider for my next course of action?
Unread 09-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
ok I'll definitely do that. I plan on getting new plugs, wires, cap, button, coil, and timing chain just in case.

If it continues to do this what should I consider for my next course of action?
Have you tried using a scanner (the key on/off... diagnostics won't work on the '98).
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
severrin

Nope, I have no access to a scanner, and Can't afford to waste money on having a mechanic tell me my jeeps broken. I need the plugs and wires anyways, and symptoms sound the same as what a few other people have experienced so I'm gonna try that first.
Unread 09-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
severrin

Got new spark plugs didn't fix the problem, broke down and bought a scanner. turns out the honey combs in my cat are busted and causing the back pressure and the sucking. so now I gotta take the cat off and beat it out.
Unread 09-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Got new spark plugs didn't fix the problem, broke down and bought a scanner. turns out the honey combs in my cat are busted and causing the back pressure and the sucking. so now I gotta take the cat off and beat it out.
If you pull the old one off, you can sell it for most of the cost of the new one due to the valuable metals in it. It is also illegal not to have a working cat.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
severrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
If you pull the old one off, you can sell it for most of the cost of the new one due to the valuable metals in it. It is also illegal not to have a working cat.
Do you mean like a core cost? or just sell it to a scrap yard?
Unread 09-20-2008, 06:08 AM   #11
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

--- fleaBay ---
Unread 09-20-2008, 10:58 AM   #12
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
As far as I know, there is no code for a bad Catalytic converter, but I do know that the rear oxygen sensor measures the efficiency of the Cat., so before you spend $80 on a cat, what trouble code did the scanner pull?

Not trying to rule out a bad Cat, especially at the 140K mile mark, but a little more diagnostic work can save you from throwing parts at a vehicle in attempt to make a repair,

Also, the card trick you are referring too generally means you have a bad exhaust valve, not a bad catalytic converter.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
severrin

Funny you should mention that, my friend who's a mechanic took a look at my jeep yesterday. The first thing he noticed while looking under the hood was that my head was spotless, he said it shouldn't be THAT clean for being ten years old. Thats a machine shop clean so he thinks I've had some head work done to it. But he was unable to diagnose the problem, the jeep has not thrown any code at all. No check engine light or anything, it's just got a misfire. and when driving it tries to bog down below 2,000 rpms. I dunno what to do other than just putting it in a shop and paying out the butt to fix it.
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
thrashin
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Funny you should mention that, my friend who's a mechanic took a look at my jeep yesterday. The first thing he noticed while looking under the hood was that my head was spotless, he said it shouldn't be THAT clean for being ten years old. Thats a machine shop clean so he thinks I've had some head work done to it. But he was unable to diagnose the problem, the jeep has not thrown any code at all. No check engine light or anything, it's just got a misfire. and when driving it tries to bog down below 2,000 rpms. I dunno what to do other than just putting it in a shop and paying out the butt to fix it.
SO what did it ever turn out to be? I have a similiar problem. I am going for the crank sensor next. Last thing I havent checked due to its location on the 5.2 .
thrashin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #15
Falkon
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashin View Post
SO what did it ever turn out to be? I have a similiar problem. I am going for the crank sensor next. Last thing I havent checked due to its location on the 5.2 .
That was over two years back, he probably fixed it a long time ago.
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.