Timing chain going bust? [ZJ-GC 4.0L] - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Timing chain going bust? [ZJ-GC 4.0L]

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 07-26-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
cherokeen
2001 WJ 

Timing chain going bust? [ZJ-GC 4.0L]

Theres a slight engine grinding noise on my Grand Cherokee Ltd (1996,181000k) it sounds to be the timing chain going bust and seems to only do it when i go from Park to drive or Nuetral to Drive/Reverse and more common when im off road.
Would this be a possible timing chain problem? I used to hear something similar when i had my 97 Explorer with a fkd timing chain (sold that within 13 days of having it, piece of s**t.)

Cheers all

cherokeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Just replaced the timing chain on my 5.9, but i dont know much about timing chains in general, my old one was fine but i replaced it cause i was fixing the gasket leak i was having. Anyway, i heared if your chain is bad it can cause problems with starting and grinding noises in the engine.

Have you had someone actually put it in park/reverse ect while you were up front listening ? I ask this because it could possibly be the transfercase or transmission doing this.

Here is a writeup i found on replacing the I6 timing chain

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=903937
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

perhaps your fan is hitting the shroud when your motor torques over from bad motor mounts?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

your talking about the timing chain at the front of the motor and not confusing it with the transfer case chain right?
Unread 07-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
cherokeen
2001 WJ 

honestly im not too similar with the timing chain on the grand cherokee's, i should be but im not, it doesn't seem like a bad problem but whenever it is idling it makes the sound.. if its something i should be worrying about i dont know.

a bit odd but does the transfer case make a sound when just standing still with the engine running?
cherokeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeen View Post
Theres a slight engine grinding noise on my Grand Cherokee Ltd (1996,181000k) it sounds to be the timing chain going bust and seems to only do it when i go from Park to drive or Nuetral to Drive/Reverse and more common when im off road.
Would this be a possible timing chain problem? I used to hear something similar when i had my 97 Explorer with a fkd timing chain (sold that within 13 days of having it, piece of s**t.)

Cheers all

honestly im not too similar with the timing chain on the grand cherokee's, i should be but im not, it doesn't seem like a bad problem but whenever it is idling it makes the sound.. if its something i should be worrying about i dont know.

a bit odd but does the transfer case make a sound when just standing still with the engine running?
no it does not but that was not specified in your first post, only that it makes noise shifting from drive gears
Unread 07-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
jreyes0a39oz
1998 ZJ 

if it where the timing chain it would do it always no mater if it was idling or driven since the timing chain is running all the time
jreyes0a39oz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grinding noise , timing chain

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.