Timing chain for GC 1997 4.0L. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Timing chain for GC 1997 4.0L.

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 10-10-2002, 11:14 AM   #1
gcl97

Timing chain for GC 1997 4.0L.

For a 1997 ZJ 4.0L, at what mileage should the timing chain be replaced? Aslo, what are the intervals to tighten the valves? I have 108K on my ZJ and was wondering if I needed to do anything into this regard before something goes wrong. Thanks.

gcl97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2002, 05:48 AM   #2
moabster
2011 WK 

I don't think there is a recommended replacement schedule for the timing chain. My haynes manual just says if there is more than 1/2 inch of chain deflection (measured by pushing the chain all the way to the left then all the way to the right) then replace the chain and sprockets.

I'm not sure what you mean by tighten the valves. Do you mean lapping the valves, or are you talking about doing something to the push rods or rockers?
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2002, 06:48 PM   #3
Intrepidjeep

With hydraulic lifters you should never have to adjust the valves -- I don't think there is any adjustment. With mechanical tappets like on my old '76 Dodge with the slant-six engine, you would adjust the valves periodically, but them were the old days.
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.