Time for a new (jy) axle??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Time for a new (jy) axle???

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 05-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
savannahzj
1998 ZJ 

Time for a new (jy) axle???

First of all, I just upgraded my membership. I should have done so a long time ago, because the money y'all have saved me would pay for many memberships... Thanks to all.
My issue: I have had a rear end noise for a while now. I don't know how to explain it. After doing research, my symtoms pointed towards a rear wheel bearing. I replaced both sides last night. shafts, bearings, seals. Noise is still there. It is a rotational sound, not really a grinding or a whine, maybe somewhere in between. I put it on jack stands today and ran it. I put my hand on the diff and can feel a slight grind or drag in sync with the rotational noise. The sound changes with speed, and with each pedal. I am smart enough to know an axle replacement is cheaper / easier than trying to rebuild. The fluid has been changed twice in the last 10k miles. The first time there was minimal metal, very fine particles more like sludge. Last night there was none to speak of. All the teeth look good. No obvious breaks or excessive wear.
I have two questions:
Is there anything in there that I can change myself without all the tools and pre load and backlash jargon that I know nothing about?
If I have to swap axles, will any D35 with 3.55's bolt on?

I don't look forward to this project, but I have put it off long enough. I have been driving it like this for months, traveling 500 miles almost every weekend with no side effects other than the noise, which the radio can solve... I just don't want it to explode on one of these trips!
Thanks for your help!

savannahzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Any d35 or d44a will bolt on, just match the gears. I would tend towards swapping in a d44a out of a post 96 V8, but then you would need to move to 3.73 gears.

Keep in mind that a JY d35 or d44a will have plenty of wear. So it may be better to just have a shop diagnose and fix the axle you have, unless you wheel, in which case an upgrade is in order.

Your 98 has rear discs. Early d35s may be drum brakes, don't get one (duh).

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

any d35 out of a ZJ will bolt up. just make sure it has the right gears
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

This may seem stupid, but since you've recently changed the fluid twice....

Do you have a limited slip? If so, did you put your additive in with your fluid? IF you can't see any rub/wear marks on the metal and no glitter in your oil my bet is the clutches if you have them.

I only know because I just swapped in an 8.8 and ended up having to put in 4 bottles of motorcraft additive to eliminate that grinding noise in mine.
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
savannahzj
1998 ZJ 

Thanks. So I now know what will bolt on. Taking it somewhere is a last resort because of cost. I am confident about performing the swap, which is probably where i'm headed. Now I would like to find out if there is anything I can check or replace before I spend the time and money to swap. Also, is it a ticking bomb? The back roads of GA is no place to be stranded... (seen the movie deliverence?)
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
savannahzj
1998 ZJ 

I did use additive, but the first time it wasn't mopar. So are you saying it is possible the noise may go away with the correct additive? That would be like Christmas in May...
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Gear setup isn't that bad I've heard just takes time and the right tools. Pinion bearing requires a in lb wrench and new crush sleeve and nut, I think carrier bearings require new shims.

My shop manager has half a gear from the spiders in his 98 ZJ d35, the other half could be sprinkled on pizza it ground it up so well. I've heard of getting around in front wheel drive while the back end turns itself to dust. Probably best to pull the rear DS if you end up like that.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Going wisdom is royal purple (already has the additive) or mopar additive only if you're LSD. Otherwise it doesn't much matter.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It's possible that your carrier bearings are bad. The metal flake might have been from them. When mine were bad it sounded like a sand in bearings rotational sound. It was there all the time and got a little louder the longer I drove and the more they heated up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DANA-35-CARR...-/350645180206

If you have a factory trac lok there will be another metal tag bolted to the diff that says you do along with the tag that has the gear ratio and axle model. Or you can request your build sheet from Chrysler. Click on "send us email" fill it out and they will send it to you. I got mine the next day. http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/j...m%28%27R%27%29
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
savannahzj
1998 ZJ 

Polka, did you do your carrier bearings yourself? The "sand in the bearings" is a pretty good description of the noise.
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

No, I had a shop do it. I didn't want to mess with it since my trac lok was in need of a rebuild too.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahzj View Post
Polka, did you do your carrier bearings yourself? The "sand in the bearings" is a pretty good description of the noise.
Carrier bearings can be done easily all you need is a press

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahzj View Post
I did use additive, but the first time it wasn't mopar. So are you saying it is possible the noise may go away with the correct additive? That would be like Christmas in May...
Well, I used the Lucas gear oil that specifically on the bottle said that additive was NOT needed as it was built into this oil.

4 bottles of additive later, it went away. You can remove your carrier and replace the carrier bearings without doing a complete setup IIRC. I pulled my locker from the D35 many times before I did my swap.don't lose your shims, and make sure you know which side they go on....don't wanna get them swapped.
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.