Time for my thrid pcm? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Time for my thrid pcm?

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 09-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Time for my thrid pcm?

Well this zj caught the electrical gremlin and it brought friends lol

It's continuously getting worse.
Stalling bucking hesitating misfire backfire. She decides she's a moody ***** lately. Whenever she wants. There's no tell on when it'll happen.

I've got codes:
P0108 map sensor voltage high
P0351 peak primary circuit current not achieved within maximum dwell time.
P0320 no crank at PCM during cranking(starts just fine)
And a cylinder 3 misfire code.

Where do I go from here. These sensors are all fine. Should I bite the bullet and buy a new PCM?

cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

It's not a Cardone is it?
If so, that's the PCM I just turned in, under warranty. They sold it to you...chuckle..

Make sure you have NTK o2 sensors installed.
Next time it stalls, pull over, leave the key on and remove the TPS connector, check the voltage on the 2 outside wires. See if you get 5volts. Turn the key off, then put it back on.

I bet it has 5 volts and starts right up, too.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
neonhomer
1996 ZJ 

Do tell.... My 96 ZJ has a "die at random" issue... If you try to restart it without cycling the key, it won't refire. If you cycle the key off, wait a few seconds, and then try to start it, it will usually fire back up. I get the P0351 code - P0351 Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction.... I've replaced the coil, and the crank sensor was recently replaced with a Mopar sensor.
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L/42RE/242 - Rebuilt motor w/ Comp cam (4/12), 3.5" Junkyard F>R lift, 31x10.5.x15 M/T's, Spartan Locked D44a, TC & tank skids, F&R adj trackbars, V8 steering arms
Galaxy DX99V CB, 102" SS Whip, Yaesu FT-2900R 2m, Larsen 1/4w mag mount, Sony HU, Massive 3way - F Door, Pioneer 3way - R Doors, MB Quart ONX304 Subs (x2), Lanzar 1600w amp.

"No Matter Where You Go... There You Are."
"Oh me oh my a lovely day is dawning. Oh what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep on site instead of in my bed" - Daria Morgendorffer (with my twist)
neonhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog
It's not a Cardone is it? If so, that's the PCM I just turned in, under warranty. They sold it to you...chuckle.. Make sure you have NTK o2 sensors installed. Next time it stalls, pull over, leave the key on and remove the TPS connector, check the voltage on the 2 outside wires. See if you get 5volts. Turn the key off, then put it back on. I bet it has 5 volts and starts right up, too.
Yeah I think it's a cardone one. But it's a year and a half old. I have smog soon so I'm ordering some from rock auto.

What would that test reveal?
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonhomer
Do tell.... My 96 ZJ has a "die at random" issue... If you try to restart it without cycling the key, it won't refire. If you cycle the key off, wait a few seconds, and then try to start it, it will usually fire back up. I get the P0351 code - P0351 Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction.... I've replaced the coil, and the crank sensor was recently replaced with a Mopar sensor.
Sounds like a fuel pressure problem
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Disconnected my upstream O2 sensor and boom huge difference. Ran 95% better. Except for the cylinder 3 misfire.

Didn't get get a single hiccup all the way home from work or when I ran to the gas station.

Am I speaking too soon?

Probably but I'll see tomorrow morning when I drive to class.

Fingers crossed.
Unread 09-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Ran great all morning.

Except for one complete shutoff in a McDonald's drive through. Lol

Ordering my O2 sensors and then I'll go from there.
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Ran good all the way to work and all the way home.

Ordering new O2 sensors right now.
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
Felonious_monk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I can't help with your question, but I have a brand new computer for sale. I'd let it go for $150.
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcarpenter View Post
Yeah I think it's a cardone one. But it's a year and a half old. I have smog soon so I'm ordering some from rock auto.

What would that test reveal?
Whether or not the 5 volt supply is getting shut down or pulled to ground by another sensor in that circuit....such as a crank sensor.

If you are getting ...say....2 volts..( key on, but not started) ..then you would disconnect the crank sensor, then re-check the tps sensor plug ( wiring harness side) and if it went back to 5 volts, you would know that the crank sensor was pulling it to ground. In that case....you would replace the crank sensor.

But if the tps had 5 volts to begin with, then something else is causing the PCM to activate the ASD relay and shutting the engine down....such as a bad 12volt feed to the PCM or, as in my recent case, the pcm itself.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.