tie rod ends - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tie rod ends

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

tie rod ends

I'm ordering a crap load of parts from rock auto including all 4 tie rod ends...to avoid ordering duplicates (and the wrong parts), what are each of the rod ends called? The names confuse me. So far I have:

Lower Right Outer
Left Outer
Front Left Inner (AT PITMAN ARM)
Front Right Outer

Sound right?

perfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

hm..

tenchar
Unread 02-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
BlackShuck
2001 WJ 

Seems like those names should get you the right parts. But they could have them listed as tie rod ends and drag link ends. Two for the tie rod, two for the drag link. I replaced mine last spring but ordered them from Kolak.
Utah Jeep Crew #8
FS: Rear wind deflectors || || Stock OEM Air Box Set Up
BlackShuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

I've got a ZJ so only need 3 -- BlackShuck, ballpark how much from Kolak? I know you have a WJ but I'm looking and would rather buy from him. Thanks.

Perfectcircle, that's the way I understand they're called.
"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
TMCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

PCircle...you are on the right track. Those are the correct names to them, they are all tie rod ends.
Lower Right Outer --> Passenger TRE at knuckle
Left Outer --> Drivers TRE ad Knuckle
Front Left Inner (AT PITMAN ARM) --> Drag link TRE at Pitman arms
Front Right Outer --> Passenger Draglink TRE at knucle

All as viewed from inside the vehicle looking out...I would get MOOG or Raybestos for TRE's.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

You're the man. Thanks for the help. I didn't want to order two of the same rod ends just because they had different names. I would have been very upset come install day! Two of them are raybestos and two are some other weird name that were prolly put together by some 8 year olds being whipped in a sweat shop in mexico but someone has to make their beatings worth while! In all seriousness, they just have to work. I'm planning on ripping the axles out anyways (IF things go as planned which i'm crossing my fingers for) Thanks again
Unread 02-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

No prob...
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
BlackShuck
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCXJ View Post
BlackShuck, ballpark how much from Kolak? I know you have a WJ but I'm looking and would rather buy from him. Thanks.
I thought I had kept the receipt but couldn't find it when I looked for it. I don't remember exactly the price but he was competitive with online store prices.
And he seemed to feel that the ones he sold were a better buy. (Of course)
Utah Jeep Crew #8
FS: Rear wind deflectors || || Stock OEM Air Box Set Up
BlackShuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

All that and they mailed me a duplicate anyways lol. Christ.
Unread 02-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCXJ View Post
I've got a ZJ so only need 3 -- BlackShuck, ballpark how much from Kolak? I know you have a WJ but I'm looking and would rather buy from him. Thanks.

Perfectcircle, that's the way I understand they're called.
you have 4, one of them is the majority of the draglink and still goes bad like the others.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.