Tie rod ends - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tie rod ends

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% off

Unread 04-22-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
theone13

Tie rod ends

I was under my Jeep today trying to see if my u joints are actually worm out, there wasn't any play in them when I tried to rotate them or lift the driveshaft, so all appears well there. However I still have a pop in my front end somewhere, so I was cheching everyting and found that I can twist my tie rod assembly but when I twist it back it makes a metal on metal sound, like a pop. Is a little bit of twisting normal in tie rod assemblies? So I'm hoping this is what my problem is. Anyway I think I need to replace the seals that hold the grease in the tie rod ends. It looks like I need to on the tie rod ends and where it meets the pitman arm. I did't find any info on this in my Haynes and I have no idea where I would buy something like that. This pop is driving me crazy, the sooner I can get it fixed the sooner my sanity can be restored, thanks everyone.

'95 ZJ Laredo 4.0L 4x4 : Stolen

kevinsoffroad.com
theone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Posted this same question a few days back.. dont think i had any replies..

Come on guys.. Its not a lift or tire question but surely someone knows..

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
theone13

Is yours making a popping noise while driving as well? Mine is really weird, sometimes it'll do it slowing down, other times not, sometimes when going over bumps sometimes not, so I really have no idea what's going on.

kevinsoffroad.com
Unread 04-22-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
RAZZMANIAC

I have the same problem, lots of play in the tie rod and lots of clunking in the front, steering has too much play in it too. . . dont know if thats the cause of the clunking or the control arms. . . .but im gettin the tie rod ends replaced SOON. . .drives me nuts.
Unread 04-22-2005, 08:30 PM   #5
theone13

When you twist your tie rod around does it make a pop noise when you do it?

kevinsoffroad.com
Unread 04-22-2005, 08:38 PM   #6
RAZZMANIAC

hits metal on metal very easily on both sides, depending on which way its twisted. . . and twists WAY too easy too.
Unread 04-22-2005, 09:33 PM   #7
jeepholic

Tie rods are cheap.
Get the ones you need, get a tie rod puller( I use a bfh and they pop right out), MARK the exact location of the tie rod and remove it, screw the new one on to the mark you made and use an impact gun to put the tie rod back in place, if you do it by hand, make sure you use a breaker bar and the tie rod all the way in. Most take a castle nut and a cotter pin to secure them and if it's not in all the way, you will not be able to install the cotter pin(and the wheel may fall off while driving).
The clunking sound you hear sounds like the track bar thoe, get a 15mm and make sure it's REALLY tight.

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2005, 05:36 AM   #8
RAZZMANIAC

dont know about the other guys, but my track bar, sway bar and shocks etc have all been replaced. . . its either gotta be the tie rod or control arms on mine. . .
Unread 04-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #9
theone13

Yeah I just installed my lift last weekend, and everything was replaced. I'll try to tighten everything down again and see if anything is loose. Maybe it has to do with my axle u-joints? I was thinking it could be a torn cv or something, but then I looked and I don't have cv's so that can't be it. I might break down and take it in if I can't figure it out soon.

kevinsoffroad.com
Unread 04-23-2005, 09:14 PM   #10
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

If the U-joints on the driveshafts clunk when the tranny is shifted from Park to drive, then that is a sign of worn out U-joints. I believe the sound you hear is something other than this. Non-adjusting-arm ball-joint pullers are great for tie-rod rod ends, but as jeepholic stated, hitting the knuckle, not the tie-rod end, with a small mallet; is faster. Where the drag link connects to the pitman-arm is a different story. I don’t like hitting that. I did however to remove mine. My puller had to be positioned in a difficult way, so I was not able to use it there. Check that the front shocks upper bolts are tight. I had slack in mine and it made a “bang” going over pot-holes.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.