thumping sound and feel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > thumping sound and feel

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 07-06-2001, 11:50 PM   #1
ralph249

thumping sound and feel

My 95 Grand Cherokee has developed a strange vibration. While driving on the Interstate or any other high everything is fine, however when I leave the Interstate and turn the front wheels approximately 10 degrees or more, something makes a thumping sound and seems to put the motor in a strain. When I straighten the wheels everything is OK, but if the wheels are turned in either directions the thumping starts. I have checked the CV joints and they are good. Outside of the vehicle I can not tell where the thumping is coming from and it is not easy to hear, but the thumping can be felt inside the vehicle, and seems to comefrom the rear part of the vehicle. The vehicle has to be driven at least 30 miles before this happens. Has this happened to others, if so what was the problem? Any ideas will be appreciated

ralph249 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2001, 06:14 PM   #2
Kess

im no ase certified mech but my best guess on that would be powersteering, sys going bad or something along that line

Retired:1994 JGC Laredo I6 4.0L, Smittybilt Outland brush guard, 1 3/4" Daystar coil spacers, custom air intake with tube K&N, Borla cat-back, KC Daylighters 6" 150w stainless steel, Xenon superwhite headlights 85/100w, 235/75/15 Pirelli Scorpian A/T, billit aluminum grill inserts
Kess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2001, 10:37 PM   #3
taterjeep

I've got the same problem after highway driving. I was looking around the internet and on another forum, the consensus seems to be that it is the viscuous coupler going bad. It seems it has been a problem on the 93-98 Jeep Grand Cherokees. Several people reported the same problem. As I understand it, the VC has a bad seal problem and can leak Automatic Transmission fluid into the VC disrupting the fluid requirements for the VC. It works fine when the system is cool. But drive it on the highway and heat up the fluid, and you get the thumping that I get.
taterjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2001, 04:30 PM   #4
ralph249

taterjeep,
This might well be my problem, it seem logical after looking at the Jeep transfer case diagrams. Have you corrected your problem? If so what is the solution? If not what do you plan to do? Do you have any idea how long it takes before the problem shows up driving on straight roads?
ralph249 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.