thump/knock noise in drive line I think. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > thump/knock noise in drive line I think.

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

thump/knock noise in drive line I think.

Its a sporadic noise seems to increase in speed while accelerating seems like its coming from the front and i can faintly feel it in my feet. The ODD time I feel a very slight vibration (like 7 or 8 vibrations then stopps and repeats like that). I just took a buddy for a drive to let him hear it and it would not do it. Im thinking the front axle ujoints?

Unread 11-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Axle or drive shaft U-Joints would be the first thing to check. Tire out of round. Bent wheel. Wheel bearing. Harmonic balancer.

Check the axle U-joints for play, you can do this without jacking it up. Check the drive shaft joints for play (put the transmission in neutral) or you can try taking the shaft off completely to see if the vibration goes away. Jack up the tires and push/pull to test the hub assembly. As far as the tires and wheels, if nothing else fixes it then go that route.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Sometimes when im parked on a hill I hear a clunk in the rear im guessing thats the rear ujoints? does not do it on a flat surface only on a hill.

Is it normal for a ujoint thats in its early wear stages to intermittently make that sound and vibrate? and the fact that its intermittent would that not rule out the tire/wheel? I was thinking of the wheel bearings too but i can faintly feel it on the front floor by my feet or will the unibody radiate the feel?
Unread 11-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Are you sure it's a rear clunk or the transmission slamming into gear? I always dread parking on a steep incline without a working E-Brake. Put it in neutral and move both drive shafts in every direction at the joint, any movement is a bad thing. Could also be the slip joint has no grease in it where the shaft enters the transfer case.

Being intermittent in general is strange if it's a moving/rotating part. I was just throwing out what could cause a vibration.

The drive shaft is closest to the floorboard at your feet, I would start there. Wheel bearings are easy to check for regardless.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

well now that you say that im not sure if its a rear clunk of the trans slamming into gear lol, ill assume its the trans slamming into gear cause it only happens on a hill. My ebrake needs adjusting and I have just put it off and im not really sure why haha.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.