Throttle cable FROZEN, and GRINDING noise.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Throttle cable FROZEN, and GRINDING noise....

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-13-2003, 09:48 PM   #1
Squirrel
2002 WJ 

Throttle cable FROZEN, and GRINDING noise....

I am new to this site and have a couple questions..

is there a fix to a frozen throttle cable? when its below 30 my cable freezes up and i have to warm the jeep up for about 30+min to get it to work...

also when i drive i hear a grinding noise...could be rotors but you would feel them if there warped. If it is the transfercase how expensive is that to fix? My grand cherokee lerado has 56k on her now.

thanks
joel

Unread 02-13-2003, 11:08 PM   #2
moabster
2011 WK 

Have you tried blowing some compressed air through the cable to blow any moisture out? The only other thought I have is to replace the cable.

On the grinding noise, where does it sound like it is coming from? Front wheels, engine, transmission, transfer case, differential, rear wheels? The grinding sound could come from warn bearings, warn brake pads and frozen calipers (I had that problem on a 93), gear problems in the differential, etc. Try to isolate it a little more.
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2003, 06:04 PM   #3
automan25

Does the grinding noise only occur when you put your foot on the brake? Many, if not all, disc brake pads have a metal tab on them to indicate when the pad is worn and needs replacing. When the pad wears down this tab comes in contact with the outside edge of the rotor and makes a grinding sound to tell the driver to change his brakes. If you remove one of your wheels and take a close look at the brake pads you should be able to tell if this is what is happening.
Unread 02-14-2003, 07:11 PM   #4
Squirrel
2002 WJ 

the noise sounds like it is coming from under the back seat....isnt that loud when coasting...but when i hit the gas slightly it get louder....i hope it isnt the transfer case
Unread 02-15-2003, 01:53 PM   #5
automan25

I wonder if it might be the universal joint in your rear driveline? Some U-Joints require regular lubing. You might poke your head under there and see if yours has a zerk fitting. If it does, then you should probably lube the joint. While you're at it, you might as well lube everything else too. I would never trust JiffyLube to find all of the lube points on the underside of my Jeep....then again I wouldn't trust them to change my oil either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.