Throttle body cleaning - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Throttle body cleaning

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Reply
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
JohnCrabtree
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sonora, California
Posts: 314
Throttle body cleaning

I'm just checking a few things before I break/ruin something.

My throttle body is terribly dirty. I tried cleaning it by using the aerosol throttle body cleaner following the instructions on the can (spray it, run it, rev it, etc). It cleaned it fairly well but it did not get a lot of it. I've tried doing that multiple times and it's still more dirty than I want it to be. My buddy took his TB off of his honda the other day to clean it and made me think about doing that myself.

If I take it off, There is only one gasket that I will need, correct? I went or orielys and asked for my throttle body gasket and they only offered one so I am assuming that there is only one on this throttle body (My buddy's honda had 4)?

Also, if I take my throttle body off, is it safe to remove the sensors (MAP, IAC, TPS, and I think the last one is Cruise Control) and then wash it in the solvent tank and then use compressed air to blow dry it? Are there any internal parts that I need to worry about that could be ruined by solvent/compressed air? Is anything going to fall apart if i pull my throttle body off?

One last thing, I am going to replace that check valve that comes off of the throttle body by the MAP sensor. The guy at orielys said that the one that is on there now is the incorrect one (someone took a larger hose and stuffed it over the end of the small vacuum hose and then put in a check valve with equal sized ends). I decided to replace it because my father went to pull the hose off of that brittle plastic and it broke a bunch of the tip of the check valve off.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

image-790058380.jpg  
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
JohnCrabtree
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sonora, California
Posts: 314
5.2L


Forgot to say that.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
GotMoose
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: , California
Posts: 54
Don't know about 5.2, but the throttle body of the 4.0 has two needle bearings inside. By soaking the whole thing, you migth risk de-greasing the bearings.
GotMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler
 
Uniblurb's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central, Ohio
Posts: 3,838
Whenever disconnecting any type of sensor, including the ones on the throttle body, disconnect the neg terminal on the battery. That way the ECU will reset itself along with all the sensors when reconnecting the battery after the sensors are connected again.
__________________
96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 93 4.0 XJ (spare), 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #5
kensnelling
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCrabtree View Post
....If I take it off, There is only one gasket that I will need, correct? I went or orielys and asked for my throttle body gasket and they only offered one so I am assuming that there is only one on this throttle body (My buddy's honda had 4)?

Also, if I take my throttle body off, is it safe to remove the sensors (MAP, IAC, TPS, and I think the last one is Cruise Control) and then wash it in the solvent tank and then use compressed air to blow dry it? Are there any internal parts that I need to worry about that could be ruined by solvent/compressed air? Is anything going to fall apart if i pull my throttle body off?....
Actually, there are two gaskets on your throttle body, the one between the throttle body and the intake manifold, and the large round one on top where the air hat attaches to the throttle body.

Yes on removing the sensors so you can clean the passages, and no on the solvent tank. It won't hurt the throttle body, but you'll get a better cleaning job using brake clean or carb cleaner, I prefer brake clean.

Pay special attention to the area where the IAC goes, use q-tips to clean inside the throttle bore and throttle plate, and the bore where the IAC pintle rides and seats. Also clean the IAC pintle.

Using compressed air to blow out the passages is the way to do it. Just put on your safety glasses first. Solvents tend to be very unpleasant on the eyes.

Last, the screws that hold the sensors in place have thread locker on them from the factory, and it works very well. These are Torx fastners so use the right size bit and they will come out. Sorry, but I don't recall offhand it its a T25 or T27. I think it's a T25, but... Using a 1/4 drive ratchet and Torx bit is easier to remove the screws than using a screwdriver type Torx tool.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
JohnCrabtree
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sonora, California
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb
Whenever disconnecting any type of sensor, including the ones on the throttle body, disconnect the neg terminal on the battery. That way the ECU will reset itself along with all the sensors when reconnecting the battery after the sensors are connected again.
Always That's something that I knew but never hurts to say! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
JohnCrabtree
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sonora, California
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensnelling

Actually, there are two gaskets on your throttle body, the one between the throttle body and the intake manifold, and the large round one on top where the air hat attaches to the throttle body.

Yes on removing the sensors so you can clean the passages, and no on the solvent tank. It won't hurt the throttle body, but you'll get a better cleaning job using brake clean or carb cleaner, I prefer brake clean.

Pay special attention to the area where the IAC goes, use q-tips to clean inside the throttle bore and throttle plate, and the bore where the IAC pintle rides and seats. Also clean the IAC pintle.

Using compressed air to blow out the passages is the way to do it. Just put on your safety glasses first. Solvents tend to be very unpleasant on the eyes.

Last, the screws that hold the sensors in place have thread locker on them from the factory, and it works very well. These are Torx fastners so use the right size bit and they will come out. Sorry, but I don't recall offhand it its a T25 or T27. I think it's a T25, but... Using a 1/4 drive ratchet and Torx bit is easier to remove the screws than using a screwdriver type Torx tool.

Ken
There is supposed to be a gasket where the big round air intake thing attaches to the throttle body? I've taken this off and I've never seen a gasket there...

I have a bit of break clean left and a can almost full of carb cleaner. I might pick up some more break clean tomorrow anyways, I use that on everything!

If I use break clean/carb clean I also don't have to worry about blowing it out so I'll probably just do that.

I just replaced the TPS about a week ago. The screws werent too hard to take out and I used a screw driver. Should I get some thread locker and throw it on them when putting it back together? If so what kind?

Should I bother putting coppercoat or 3M weatherproofing sealant on the gasket or does it not really matter?

Should I put anything on the TB mounting bolts when putting them back in? I inspect every bolt that I pull out and clean the threads on them if they need it. Just wondering if I should use nevercease or something.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:49 AM   #8
kensnelling
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 496
Yep, supposed to be a gasket on top of the throttle body on the 5.2, a lot of times it's left off, but it really should have one on it.

I use Loctite blue. Holds the screw tension, but still easy to remove. Don't use red or green, will make the screws exremely difficult to remove. An acceptable substitute for Loctite blue is yout girlfriends nail polish

Just clean the mounting surface on the intake manifold and throttle body and install the gasket dry. Steel bolts/aluminum manifold I always use anti seize on those. Long sad story for another time.

Easy task, should be able to do it while you're waiting for the primer on your grill to dry

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
JohnCrabtree
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sonora, California
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensnelling
Yep, supposed to be a gasket on top of the throttle body on the 5.2, a lot of times it's left off, but it really should have one on it.

I use Loctite blue. Holds the screw tension, but still easy to remove. Don't use red or green, will make the screws exremely difficult to remove. An acceptable substitute for Loctite blue is yout girlfriends nail polish

Just clean the mounting surface on the intake manifold and throttle body and install the gasket dry. Steel bolts/aluminum manifold I always use anti seize on those. Long sad story for another time.

Easy task, should be able to do it while you're waiting for the primer on your grill to dry

Ken
Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
JohnCrabtree
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sonora, California
Posts: 314
image-3377232852.jpg



image-386682739.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
dnuccio
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,484
That's what mine looked like. I cleaned it and it runs so much smoother now. IAC valve was very dirty as well
__________________
Reliability is relative
R.I.P. Ratmonkey
dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #12
JohnCrabtree
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sonora, California
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio
That's what mine looked like. I cleaned it and it runs so much smoother now. IAC valve was very dirty as well
I completely forgot about the IAC... I had to help someone take a chopper out of a truck right in the middle and it distracted me.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.