Thoughts on grille guard? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Thoughts on grille guard?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thoughts on grille guard?

I want to buy a beefy grille guard for my ZJ. I'm contemplating a full brush guard and a bull bar. If I go for the brush guard, I could always cut off the sides that covers the headlights if I get tired of it. I just like the look of the bull bar, kind of like what's on some squad cars..

Here's the two I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/RHINO-3600B-Se...rokee+bull+bar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-98-Jeep-G...ba2d7d&vxp=mtr

I've seen ZJs with brush guards. Anyone running just a bull bar?

Unread 12-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If you're looking for looks or a place to mount lights, either of those will work; if you're looking for protection, you need to be look at full bumper replacement.

For the two above, it is really going to come down to the look you prefer. Just as a heads up, the vast majority of the time, brush guards and bull bars will only increase damage in an accident.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Oh really? It makes sense I guess seeing how it's mounted and the metal used. Is the only option for a beefy bumper (aside from something custom) the ARB bumper? That's about a grand right? I want something beefy that offers protection, and something that can hold a light bar or something.
Unread 12-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

ARB and Kevins Offroad are going to be the two biggest name ones for pre-assembled.

JCR Offroad sells a weld together kit that looks pretty good and comes pre-cut.

Flatland4x4 sells plans to make your own provided you source steel and cutting.
Unread 12-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'll checkout Kevin's, although I think he has that expensive rear tire carrier (which I'm also considering one of those but not yet). I saw JCR's and didn't like the style.

I did come across CSL's and actually quite like the style. One of the reviewers mentioned it doesn't come with the grille guard, and after reading the page, it says it doesn't, but they offer options..? Looks nice. But I'll have to see if I can have them send the guard or maybe just have a local shop replicate it?

http://csloffroad.com/wincherbumperf...G.aspx#reviews
Unread 12-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Hanson also has a full bumper, forgot about them.

Is your Jeep stock that these are going on? If it is, you might need a leveling spacer front and back; 0.75-1" is the usual sag in the front, closer to 1.5" in the rear since the bumper+spare tire+gas(if equipped) can be close t0 300lbs. I'm getting ~5.5" of lift out of 7" springs in the rear. The top picture is with the 5.5" lift coils that sagged some with the new load on there.

Unread 12-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

That looks nice. I'll have to check that out. And yeah its stock. I'd definitely get spacers and maybe fresh coils.

I know the bumpers are heavy, but it's going on a bed lined Niner. Shouldn't bog it down too much?
Unread 12-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Bumpers weigh 100lbs each give or take. More for the rear with a tire carrier. If you don't take it off road then you honestly really don't need them. Unless you are worried about deer or other bad drivers. They look silly on stock ZJ's IMO. If you go that route I would look into getting some stiffer coils like the OME HD coils along with some nice shocks.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well I'm actually building the ZJ up to go out in the woods. Picking up some Cooper AT3s that are similar to the stock size. I'm a little worried it wouldn't look good in a stock ZJ and I'd do a BB but I don't want to lose that power with the 31s. Maybe I should just stick with the bull bar? I prefer that over the brush guard. And Bilsteins are on my list!
Unread 12-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Well anytime you add weight to a vehicle either through larger tires, gear, bumpers, or whatever you are potentially going to lose power. When I went to 33's and an ARB front bumper on my first ZJ it certainly made it slower. I added headers, intake, performance ecu, and full 3" exhaust and that made a huge difference. It wasn't until I regeard that it brought it back near stock performance and that little 5.2 hauled butt. That's a bunch of money though. If you add a lift and bumpers with bigger tires regearing will bring your power back to stock but it's not cheap.
If you are just looking for something to hold some lights then that police bar would be fine. If you hit something with it it's going to bend right into the hood though. Just don't hit anything is the best advice

Also those bumpers stick out from the body a bit more than stock and it kills the approach angle without lift. Especially the ARB. It hangs out there pretty far.

Look for some pics of stock ZJ's with aftermarket bumpers. Maybe you will like the look of it. It's only my opinion that they look funny.
Unread 12-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Right on. Thanks for another informative post, Polka. I'll probably just go with that police bar and just not hit anything haha.
Unread 12-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk92XJGuy View Post
Right on. Thanks for another informative post, Polka. I'll probably just go with that police bar and just not hit anything haha.
The one that would look good on a stock ZJ isn't being made right now. It was by a company called Iceland who made fender flares as well. They were terrible with their customers and went out of business. Another company based in Utah bought the molds and is supposed to make the bumper again soon hopefully. It's really strong fiberglass with some steel mounting hardware. Winch or no winch option. I was skeptical at first but there was a post about a guy who wheeled with one in Moab and he bashed it up really good and it took all the abuse. I saw another post where a civic hit one and it was unscathed but the civic wasn't looking so hot.

Here is a pic. It's also lighter obviously.
screen-shot-2013-12-27-1.29.55-pm.jpg

Unread 12-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yup! I came across that first when I was looking. So mad it's not made any more!
Unread 01-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #14
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

So this happened last week.. Van in front of me had a tow hitch, backed into me, snagged the bumper, ripped everything off.

I received my check from insurance to fix this. Now an aftermarket bumper will be getting purchased, opposed from the push bar I was planning on.

I'm looking at this since I like the look and it protects everything. Haven't read much about it.. But for $675 I could pick it up. Anything else out there that's either similar to this? Looking for full front end protection, don't need a winch mount.
http://tacticalarmorgroup.com/TAG-Bu...e-ZJ-1993-1998
Unread 01-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Ive got just a bull bar should be a pic in my profile.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.