Thoughts on this coil lean? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Thoughts on this coil lean?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 11-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #16
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

I slid everything back to where I still have to cut out the fuel skid lip for my diff cover to not hit it. I slid the coil buckets way forward and made the control arm tabs for my lowers as the coil pad gussets. It finished really clean. Front is about 3/4" forward of stock. That will probably get pushed s little once I find another driveshaft that works.
Anyways, you can see how far forward I pushed the buckets and how I tied the lower links in to it

Unread 11-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
Well if the angle was correct it wouldn't be an issue.

But again. You can readjust your arms to bring it in line. What length are your arms?

It's not the coil pads angle.. it sits ~level at ride height.

Does it matter what the arm length is.. tire is positioned 1" away from front wheelwell, can just barely get my hand in between up the knuckles. Axle is not located too far rearward.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Looks good speedbucket.

Not so good pic showing the placement of mine. Those TSM discs were sold and ZJ parts modified to fit, need to drill out the IRO trackbar through bolt at axle for 1/2" bolt.. and notch the skid to slip the bolt in as I cant from other side.

Unread 01-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #19
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

I'm ditching these shortarms, a bud is parting his ZJ out and I managed to aquire his rear Clayton setup.

Going to cut off the coil mounts, upper arm and trackbar mounts. Add these from Barnes, and probably order a new truss from Clayton. Then add a TJ swaybar as I asked about in another thread.

https://www.barnes4wd.com/Coil-Sprin...ir-_p_275.html

Anyone have any input on the Barnes mounts?
Unread 01-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #20
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
I'm ditching these shortarms, a bud is parting his ZJ out and I managed to aquire his rear Clayton setup.

Going to cut off the coil mounts, upper arm and trackbar mounts. Add these from Barnes, and probably order a new truss from Clayton. Then add a TJ swaybar as I asked about in another thread.

https://www.barnes4wd.com/Coil-Sprin...ir-_p_275.html

Anyone have any input on the Barnes mounts?
Be wary of the rise that the buckets have on them. Make sure they will work with your springs/desired height. I would also consider cutting the ears down to reach the desired height off of axle center. Also consider some gussets that tie in the coil mount lower down the axle tube. By moving the perch forward you're turning a compression load on top to a torsional load on the side.
If you don't have the ability to nickel tig the center section to the tubes then I would try to work in a foot that bolts to the pinion holes like the artec truss....
Unread 01-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #21
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

So don't redo the mistake I already did.. got it. These Barnes offset pads look as though they have the same coil seated height as the OEM pads, that'll allow me to go back to the 4.5" coils I pulled and replaced with 3.5". I could actually use a tad of lift in the rear if these sit just a touch higher (.5").. eventually a swingaway will be built.

Good input on the torsional load..

My tubes have been welded to the iron diff already, my bud took care of that without me having to ask.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.