Thoughts on this coil lean? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Thoughts on this coil lean?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 11-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Thoughts on this coil lean?

This is my first ZJ, was an XJ owner for close to 18 years prior. So I really don't have much experience with this type of issue.

Swapping in a new axle, the bracket kit moves the coil perch back an inch or better as well as giving add'l lift. I remedied the lift by ordering shorter coils.

Will this coil lean effect handling dramatically? Am I going to bend a coil while stuffing a tire? Has anyone ever moved the upper mounts rearward?

Eventually I plan Clayton LA's but was only able to do the fronts this time around, I figure with the LA's this will only get worse?

Appreciate input..

OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i dont like the looks of that. keep in mind, the axle travels up and rearward when the suspension compresses, so its going to be bending the spring even more.

unless im missing something here
Unread 11-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
i dont like the looks of that. keep in mind, the axle travels up and rearward when the suspension compresses, so its going to be bending the spring even more.

unless im missing something here

Exactly how I see it dude.. thought I thought it through pretty good but.. not so much.

At the moment i'm thinking cut these perches off and using the OEM's from the original axle. But I remember the RE coils not seating exactly right within those either..
Unread 11-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

It appears angling the perch a little rearward might help too.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Toss the tires back on and see where it sits when on its own weight. You'll probably need to adjust the axle position with the control arms.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
It appears angling the perch a little rearward might help too.
Perch is real close to level at ride height, I built in 10* pinion angle for the SYE and it was only off a few degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Toss the tires back on and see where it sits when on its own weight. You'll probably need to adjust the axle position with the control arms.
That's at ride height, stands under the tubes. Can just get my palm between tire and wheelwell with tire on yesterday, today i extended the uppers out just a few rev's to raise/set the pinion.
Unread 11-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

What axle, tcase and bracket kit?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
What axle, tcase and bracket kit?
242 with SYE. Axle is an XJ D44 that was jigged up for the CA mounts, all four CA bolts slid right in after removing the ZJ D35 that was still in.

The mounts are from FroBot Fab, and were good quality. Just the issue of moving the coil center rearward caught me by surprise.. after they were already welded in. Realized the issue when I dropped the D35.

So what's the opinion on affected ride quality? Is this going to be tolerable or do I need to address this right now?
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

what do you have your lower control arms set at?

what type of instructions did you use to measure the coil perches?

i cannot recall, but i believe with the IRO kit the perches were supposed to be 12 degrees. (i cannot confirm) which i think would solve your problem if you are 10. i remember it looked completely wrong when we burned them in, but when i popped the axle in the jeep it all mated up perfectly. whole swap was done in 5 hours.

shorten your upper arms and it will bring it back to close to good. probably give you a vibe or two though.

i'd reburn the brackets on a few degrees up, or another inch or so forward if that makes sense.

i know a lot of folks love that artec truss thing and/or doing their own brackets, but i'll tell ya, the instructions that came with the IRO kit were bang on.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen a kit to move TJ brackets rearward in order to help with the angle and the displacement of the axle because of lift. It may be that that is meant to be used with higher lift and since you got lower springs it's sitting back further. Like others have said you can probably fix it by adjusting CAs if you have enough adjustability.
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

It has nothing to do with the angle, its the perch location front to rear.. cut and reweld or add to what you got. With the stretch on mine I ended up 3-4" forward of axle centerline to catch the coils properly
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
It has nothing to do with the angle, its the perch location front to rear.. cut and reweld or add to what you got. With the stretch on mine I ended up 3-4" forward of axle centerline to catch the coils properly
Bingo.. that's exactly the issue.

What i'm wondering is how it will effect handling as is currently. I'll have a few hour drive to my buds place to fab up new mounts etc.
Unread 11-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Depending on how well you built the first one, just weld a coil plate on top of the current and ad a couple gussets going back to mount/tube. It will ride a little stiff the way its loading the coils. You'll be fine, just make sure there is an adequate coil retainer at the bottom.
Unread 11-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #14
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well if the angle was correct it wouldn't be an issue.

But again. You can readjust your arms to bring it in line. What length are your arms?
Unread 11-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Speedbucket how did you stretch yours? I popped mine out an inch front and rear to get to 108" (measured hub to hub)

And yes u can drive on it for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.