Thought it was running out of gas (need help) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Thought it was running out of gas (need help)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFree Shipping on Soft ShacklesNew! JK/U skid plate system.

Unread 01-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #1
zjnovroom
1995 ZJ 

Thought it was running out of gas (need help)

I was given my fathers 95 zj jeep 4x4 (5.2) he used for work and towing a trailer after his passing a couple years ago. Long story short, it sat at my mothers house (four states away) until i was able to get it back home while visiting there over the holidays.

I hooked some jumper cables up to it and it cranked up almost immediately after 2 years (it has 199,000 miles). Everything was working fine with the exception of the gas gauge was on empty and the light was on. That and a nasty cat rattle that i will deal with next. I should add there is no over head console to check for fuel mileage. Battery wouldn't hold a charge for long so it was replaced. Spark plugs replaced, oil changed and i topped off all the fluids/air.

I filled it up and drove it 4+ hours on I-10 back to my home. It made the trip back on a single tank averaging 75-80 mph with no issues.

The next day i put 20 bucks in it as i was unsure how much gas was left and drove it around town running errands, 21 miles the odometer said with no issues. The next morning it runs for about 5 min and shuts off. Wont start till i add more gas from a fuel can. I take it back to the gas station add 20 more dollars in and drive around a little (perhaps 30 miles). The next day the same thing and once again it starts after adding fuel from a gas can. I just drove it home. Today i decided to try again. It dies while pulling into the gas station this time and wont start. I pushed it to the pump. This time after about 3 bucks it wont accept any more fuel. The tank is full. It took about 6 or 7 attempts but it eventually chugged to life and i drove it right home. Along the way it almost felt like the transmission was slipping but would lurch into gear and then start pulling.

My assumption is the fuel pump is toast and the fuel sending unit was just the first to go on the assembly from sitting so long in what im assuming was around 1/4 tank.

I was hoping someone would confirm my suspicions before i order a pump and filter? I haven't had much time to get outside to mess with it with this obscene cold front that has moved in. Ive just been driving the other car.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide and sorry for writing a novel. Just wanted to try to explain as much as possible.

Last edited by zjnovroom; 01-09-2015 at 05:03 PM..
zjnovroom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

Get a fuel pressure tester and check the fuel pressure. I forgot what the fuel pressure on a 95 should be. Somewhere around 35 I think. Do a search on it. And search for "Zeejays" thread on 12 things you can do when your zj stalls

Sent from somewhere
Unread 01-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
tetatdo
1994 ZJ 

v8 or i6?

fuel pressure for i6 is 31psi idle 39psi WOT
tetatdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
dflewelling
1995 ZJ 

He said 5.2. Let me grab my Haynes..
dflewelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflewelling
I don't know how I missed that.
Fuel pressure for a 5.2 should be 48 + or - 5. Just tested mine last week. It fluttered between 47-49

Sent from somewhere
Unread 01-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #6
tetatdo
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflewelling View Post
sorry, i swear im blind...
tetatdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

Let me correct myself again. The fuel pressure I mentioned is for a 97-98.
Yours being a 95, it should be between 37-41. But don't quote me on that, I just read it in another post

Sent from somewhere
Unread 01-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
zjnovroom
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the replies! I think a buddy should have one i could borrow. If not ill try to grab one from one of the local stores.

Considering that the gas gauge also stays on empty and the amount of time the vehicle sat. Would it be logical to assume that the fuel sending unit will most likely need attention?
Unread 01-09-2015, 11:36 PM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Fuel pressure spec is 39psi +/- 2psi on your 95 5.2. And fuel pressure shouldn't drop below 24psi after 10-20 minutes after shut down or check valve may be bad or other leaks.

95 is the 1st year they moved the fuel pressure regulator into the fuel pump module in the tank. The telltale sign the regulator is not external is there will just be one fuel line connecting to the rail instead of a 2nd for a return line.

Many parts stores have loaner fuel pressure testers to connect to the rail. Just make sure you tell them it's a Chrysler/Jeep schroader valve connector which they normally are.

There's a good chance the whole pump is bad from sitting so long along with corrosion on the sending unit in the module too. This would cause the gas gauge not to work.

Don't go on the cheap when buying a new fuel pump module or you'll be sorry. Rockauto carries the Bosch 67637 for your 95 5.2 for $176. Bosch is OE and Mopar just repackages them while selling them for a whole lot more. Here's the description from Rockauto with photo and I couldn't find it at a lower price anywhere else.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...072&cc=1182114

Prior to installing a new pump you could just change the fuel filter to see if that helps. But it isn't going to get the gas gauge working. Believe I'd also check the wiring around the fuel tank going to the pump to make sure there isn't rodent wire damage from sitting so long.

You could also add some fuel additive to it like "Heet" to try and break down any water in the tank. Not a bad idea to check to make sure the horn work then flip the relay with the fuel pump relay in the PDC (fuse/relay box) in the engine compartment.

Actually if you replace the pump module it would be best to remove the whole tank and clean it out with soap along with warm water. But know this is hard to do in the winter months and you just filled it up. Regardless, you will have to get most of the fuel out of there to drop the tank since it's so heavy. Good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2015, 12:53 AM   #10
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

^^^^ listen to uniblurb, he knows what he's talking about.

Sent from somewhere
Unread 01-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #11
orangeafroman
1995 ZJ 

My 95 ZJ had a fuel line leak and faulty fuel pump at 199,000 miles as well. Ordered a cheap $60 fuel pump, and it was crap. Go ahead and get a good one, save you some trouble.
orangeafroman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #12
zjnovroom
1995 ZJ 

I was hesitant to post what ive found because of how ridiculous it sounds or at least was to me when i discovered it. The same day the jeep started stalling was the day i was troubleshooting the radio not working and noticed the fuse was pulled. So i replaced it and the radio worked fine. But it stalled the first time that day as i was backing out. And wouldn't run more then 5 or 6 minutes before stalling and refusing to start for sometime ( the time it took me to get to the gas station and return thinking it was out of fuel).

Anyway, i pulled the fuse 2 days ago and have not had a single issue. I drove about 50 miles today accelerating hard at times and had no issues other then a super rattly cat i need to address next( you can knock on it and hear the pieces rattle inside). I also noticed that when i hit the brakes the dash and shift gear lights dimly come on. So clearly there is some kind of electrical issue going on. Which im hoping is why the gas gauge is dead and not the sending unit.

Does this sound nuts or is their some particular direction i should go in? Im thinking ill just take the dash out this weekend and give everything a look over.
Unread 01-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #13
Cbob4
1995 ZJ 

You have a ground issue. Tighten up all the grounds under the hood...
Cbob4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.