To those hunting for the "niner" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > To those hunting for the "niner"

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 06-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

To those hunting for the "niner"

It seems to me, that for one reason or another and based on all the "niner" chatter on this forum, they are much more sought after south of the border, than up here in Canada...

I keep seeing them up here all the time and usually pretty cheap, so I decided that every time I stumble across one of them, I will post the find for you guys...
I realize, that most of you might be too far away, but will post them anyway:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ491697373

angry_trucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

They are cheaper up there because of the fuel mileage. The crappier the mileage the cheaper a vehicle will be.

Same thing for any country that pays a high price for the go go juice.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
a70eliminator

That would sure be a good deal in the northeast Ohio snow belt, in winter, or summer, pulling my boat, I'll take 2 please.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
They are cheaper up there because of the fuel mileage. The crappier the mileage the cheaper a vehicle will be.

Same thing for any country that pays a high price for the go go juice.
Yes I know...When I was just starting my ZJ research (not knowing anything about them), I accidentally almost bought one...
It looked to be in excellent condition, price was right and the owner made sure not to mention the fact, that its a 5.9 in his ad, so he wouldn't scare away any potentional buyers....

Of course, once I realized what I'm looking at, the conversation came to a grinding halt.....
I think the seller was pretty much expecting it, as he didn't even look surprised....he even offered to knock off another $500 from the already low price of $1500....
I did some quick math and I realized, that in order for me to take it he would have to pay me....I wouldn't want it even if it was free, because of what it would cost me to go back and forth to work just in gas...
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_trucker View Post
Yes I know...When I was just starting my ZJ research (not knowing anything about them), I accidentally almost bought one...
It looked to be in excellent condition, price was right and the owner made sure not to mention the fact, that its a 5.9 in his ad, so he wouldn't scare away any potentional buyers....

Of course, once I realized what I'm looking at, the conversation came to a grinding halt.....
I think the seller was pretty much expecting it, as he didn't even look surprised....he even offered to knock off another $500 from the already low price of $1500....
I did some quick math and I realized, that in order for me to take it he would have to pay me....I wouldn't want it even if it was free, because of what it would cost me to go back and forth to work just in gas...
3 mpg difference?
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
3 mpg difference?
I think it would be a little more than 3 MPG difference...
I average little over 20 MPG (mostly highway) with the 4.0 (stock tire size and everything else)

I think I would be very lucky to get 17 out of the 5.9...but even if I did, the difference still adds up in the long run...
Unread 06-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I think it would be a little more than 3 MPG difference...
I average little over 20 MPG (mostly highway) with the 4.0 (stock tire size and everything else)

I think I would be very lucky to get 17 out of the 5.9...but even if I did, the difference still adds up in the long run...
You are correct in that in the long run the 4.0 does get better mileage but according to the us department of energy the 5.9 gets 16 mpg highway and the 4.0 gets 19.

To me the extra $40 per 1000 miles seems negligible.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Badmunky
1998 ZJ 

A friend of mine has a nice clean 5.9 GC that he never drives any more. Been trying to sell it for over a year now. I think hes asking to much for it.
Its a 98, gray, 4x4, loaded, 149k miles, clean and rust free. He wants $5,995 for it!

Told him hes nuts but he thinks he will get it.
I offered him 2k for it and he told me no.

He said when he drove it every day he averaged 11mpg!

I think he will own it for ever at that price.

Good rig but there are way better options out there for 6k.
I bout a 98 4.0 ZJ with 152k on it in great shape for $2,400! And its loaded to!
Badmunky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
You are correct in that in the long run the 4.0 does get better mileage but according to the us department of energy the 5.9 gets 16 mpg highway and the 4.0 gets 19.

To me the extra $40 per 1000 miles seems negligible.
Working with the "only 3 MPG" difference numbers and taking into account my daily commute, it makes a difference of about $180 per month using the current gas price...and that's without factoring in the cost of the premium gas needed for the 5.9...

But in the real world scenario I get over 20MPG with my 4.0 (better than the department of energy advertised mileage)...

As I have previously mentioned, I honestly doubt that you would be able to find too many 5.9's that will do 17 MPG...meaning that the difference between my Jeep and the 5.9 would likely be much greater than "only 3 MPG"
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

If you're worried about mileage, you shouldn't own a Jeep, except maybe the Compass

My 2c

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
If you're worried about mileage, you shouldn't own a Jeep, except maybe the Compass

My 2c
I'm not worried about the mileage of the 4.0....I'm worried about the mileage of the 5.9.
I can deal with 20 MPG, but that is about my limit to what I'm willing to pay at the pump...
I thought that was pretty clear throughout my posts.

I got the Grand Cherokee mainly, because I like the clean and simple square look and the ability to get me through a big snowfall...
I can't stand the new weird alien-spaceship shaped garbage, most manufacturers seem to insist on making these days...
Compass would be a perfect example, as it looks like it was designed by someone who's mentally challenged and blind to boot....
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
a70eliminator

The niner also requires premium pump fuel which only
adds salt to the wound.
Some just like the awsome feel of overtaking a vehicle on the freeway upgrade pulling a boat, I just did that tonight, it was a great high.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a70eliminator View Post
The niner also requires premium pump fuel which only
adds salt to the wound.

Not sure about the US, but up here the difference between regular and premium is about 15 cents per liter...it adds up very fast
Im pretty sure it feels great overtaking another vehicle while pulling a boat, but there is a price attached to that feeling...
Besides there are probably far more suitable vehicles out there for pulling heavy stuff than the ZJ...especially some of the diesel pickups...
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Mine is a mileage freak sort of. 16 mpg??? I can get that city driving with the SCT tuner and I get a solid 20 mpg on the freeway with a 5.9. As long as Im not flying.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #15
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Quote:

Not sure about the US, but up here the difference between regular and premium is about 15 cents per liter...
If I am correct that works out to about 55 cents a gallon. That sucks! Here in the states the difference is about 15-20 cents a gallon. That would up real fast. If it helps my 5.2 averages around 12MPG on stock everything but that is almost all city driving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.