Thinking of upgrading tires do I need a "lift"? - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-01-2004, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
wrigleylaredo
Registered User
2008 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 138
Thinking of upgrading tires do I need a "lift"?

Hi people.
I was wondering if I upgrade to some BF Goodrich's (All-Terrain T/A KO) what would be the proper size tire if I'm not lifitng my Laredo (2002) just yet.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay
Chicago

wrigleylaredo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 05-01-2004, 09:16 AM
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master
 
Texas ZJ1's Avatar
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Omaha
Posts: 20,283
Do you have the 16 or 17 inch wheels?
Do you want to get aftermarket or stay with your stock wheels?


Are you stuck on the BFGs or looked at other tires?

Check out the non-lifted WJs on the photos pages of www.nagca.com and you might get some better ideas about mods and what you may or may not like.


Hunter

04 4.7 HO, limited

08 Z71 Suburban, front leveling kit with rear spacers. 285/65 18s Nitto TerraGrappler G2s

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/
602.841.3355

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
480.998.366
Texas ZJ1 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 05-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Buddha_Kip
Registered User
 
Buddha_Kip's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: N'awlins
Posts: 1,098
the Laredo (2002) all run the 16" Silverblade #2 wheels...I'm almost positive. Biggest you can sling on there is a 245/75/16.

2000 WJ Limited - 2.5" Rusty's springs WAAG 1-piece front brush guard custom built WAAG nerf bars PIAA 580 lighting Custom Paint One-off Aluminum Treadplate Door Entry Guards & Rear Bumper Step
1986.5 Porsche 928S - 18" Moda MD1 Autothority Chips Rear Muffler Bypass Short-Shift Kit
Grease Monkey & HNIC @ Clasik Auto

Last edited by Buddha_Kip; 05-03-2004 at 10:46 PM.
Buddha_Kip is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 05-01-2004, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
wrigleylaredo
Registered User
2008 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
Do you have the 16 or 17 inch wheels?
Do you want to get aftermarket or stay with your stock wheels?


Are you stuck on the BFGs or looked at other tires?

Check out the non-lifted WJs on the photos pages of www.nagca.com and you might get some better ideas about mods and what you may or may not like.


Hunter
I'd like to stay with the stock Silverblades for now. BFG's were my first choice, because most the pics of rigs I've seen have them on. So I assume since alot of people have them they must be good. But no I'm not partial to them, I'm open to other manufactures.
In the future as I become more adpet at off-roading I'd like to lift it a little, maybe an ARB bumper/winch setup.
wrigleylaredo is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 05-01-2004, 05:51 PM
grandgirl
Registered User
 
grandgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: texas
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigleylaredo
I'd like to stay with the stock Silverblades for now. BFG's were my first choice, because most the pics of rigs I've seen have them on. So I assume since alot of people have them they must be good. But no I'm not partial to them, I'm open to other manufactures.
In the future as I become more adpet at off-roading I'd like to lift it a little, maybe an ARB bumper/winch setup.
when i went to get my new tires they said the highest i could go with the all terrains was 235/70/15.

98 jeep grand cherokee laredo
2wheel drive
no mods
grandgirl is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 05-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master
 
Texas ZJ1's Avatar
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Omaha
Posts: 20,283
GG,

who is the they and you know better than to make a tire purchase without asking for permission first.

Seriously, if you don't like the answer you're being given, pm me or ask the question here on the forum.

He is asking about the WJ tire size, not the ZJ tire size. I went with 30s right out of the parking lot and into a tire store.

They aren't much bigger than the 235 but, they are bigger.

Hunter

04 4.7 HO, limited

08 Z71 Suburban, front leveling kit with rear spacers. 285/65 18s Nitto TerraGrappler G2s

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/
602.841.3355

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
480.998.366
Texas ZJ1 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 05-02-2004, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
wrigleylaredo
Registered User
2008 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
GG,

who is the they and you know better than to make a tire purchase without asking for permission first.

Seriously, if you don't like the answer you're being given, pm me or ask the question here on the forum.

He is asking about the WJ tire size, not the ZJ tire size. I went with 30s right out of the parking lot and into a tire store.

They aren't much bigger than the 235 but, they are bigger.

Hunter
OK, I'm getting confused.
wrigleylaredo is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 05-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master
 
Texas ZJ1's Avatar
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Omaha
Posts: 20,283
OK, I'm getting confused.

Don't be confused. That was just some light hazing for GG.

It looks like BK answered your question yesterday. the 245 is probably the biggest you can rub without having tire rubbing issues.


Hunter

04 4.7 HO, limited

08 Z71 Suburban, front leveling kit with rear spacers. 285/65 18s Nitto TerraGrappler G2s

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/
602.841.3355

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
480.998.366
Texas ZJ1 is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 05-02-2004, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
wrigleylaredo
Registered User
2008 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
OK, I'm getting confused.

Don't be confused. That was just some light hazing for GG.

It looks like BK answered your question yesterday. the 245 is probably the biggest you can rub without having tire rubbing issues.


Hunter
Cool beans. Thanks to all that replied. Much appreciated. But now I have another question.
My Laredo has 'Select-Trac', how long can I stay in 'Full-Time' or 'Part-Time' mode?
In the future I'd like to get a Limited or Overland, maybe a Special Edition were I would have either Quadra Drive or Quadra Trac II.
wrigleylaredo is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 05-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master
 
Texas ZJ1's Avatar
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Omaha
Posts: 20,283
How long do you want to stay there. Mine is 4Hi all the time. I wouldn't drive it that way on dry pavement for long. It takes to much stress that way.

Hunter

04 4.7 HO, limited

08 Z71 Suburban, front leveling kit with rear spacers. 285/65 18s Nitto TerraGrappler G2s

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/
602.841.3355

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
480.998.366
Texas ZJ1 is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 05-03-2004, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
wrigleylaredo
Registered User
2008 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
How long do you want to stay there. Mine is 4Hi all the time. I wouldn't drive it that way on dry pavement for long. It takes to much stress that way.

Hunter
Well, I wouldn't use it when conditions are dry. My question was how long could I stay in either full-time or part-time during inclemental weather such as heavy rainstorms and snowy conditions.
wrigleylaredo is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 05-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master
 
Texas ZJ1's Avatar
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Omaha
Posts: 20,283
You can stay there as long as you need.

Hunter

04 4.7 HO, limited

08 Z71 Suburban, front leveling kit with rear spacers. 285/65 18s Nitto TerraGrappler G2s

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/
602.841.3355

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
480.998.366
Texas ZJ1 is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 05-03-2004, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
wrigleylaredo
Registered User
2008 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
You can stay there as long as you need.

Hunter
Super. Thanks for all your help!
wrigleylaredo is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 05-03-2004, 03:05 PM
grandgirl
Registered User
 
grandgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: texas
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
GG,

who is the they and you know better than to make a tire purchase without asking for permission first.

Seriously, if you don't like the answer you're being given, pm me or ask the question here on the forum.

He is asking about the WJ tire size, not the ZJ tire size. I went with 30s right out of the parking lot and into a tire store.

They aren't much bigger than the 235 but, they are bigger.

Hunter
they = sears. that's where i work (in the hardware dept.) so i just checked with automotive one day when i was bored. i didn't end up getting them though, i'm waiting on a friend of a friend for my tires..... hopefully i'll get them soon.

and oops about the WJ part. i wasn't paying attention.

98 jeep grand cherokee laredo
2wheel drive
no mods
grandgirl is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 05-03-2004, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
wrigleylaredo
Registered User
2008 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandgirl
they = sears. that's where i work (in the hardware dept.) so i just checked with automotive one day when i was bored. i didn't end up getting them though, i'm waiting on a friend of a friend for my tires..... hopefully i'll get them soon.

and oops about the WJ part. i wasn't paying attention.
I give ya an "A" for effort. Thanks for you help.
wrigleylaredo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
98 GC Laredo I6 with 4.5" Lift and 32x11.5" tires? Pilzner33 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 8 11-27-2010 05:23 PM
Upgrading Headlights, do I need this "wire harness"? pCarson92 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 19 05-31-2009 09:52 PM
Thinking about 6.5" IRO lift MidgeP8 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 1 09-24-2008 08:04 PM
Anyone running stock 16" rims and 4.5" of lift? What size tires do you run? bjl95mustang ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 02-12-2007 11:23 AM
Worst times of thinking "what WAS I thinking?!" ItsJustJeep ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 6 12-10-2004 09:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome