Thinking Of Doing The V8 Tire Rod End On My 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Thinking Of Doing The V8 Tire Rod End On My 4.0

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-15-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Thinking Of Doing The V8 Tire Rod End On My 4.0

So I started doing research about how crappy and flimsy the tie rod ends are on the 4.0, how much beefier the tie rod ends are on the 5.2/5.9...

So I was able to compile a list of parts to use (tie rod, tie rod end and adjustable sleeve), but was wondering about the drag link bar. Where can I find a beefier drag link?

Then I came across this web site selling the beefier tie rod set up with a drag link, but the descrption says for 99-01 XJs, no mention of ZJs.. My question is, is the suspension on the 99-01 XJs the same as the ZJs?

Here is the website with the set up I am referring to.

http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/steeri...ering-kit.html

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Most people don't upgrade the steering until they up their tire size. What size are you running?

The V8s do have the beefier tie rod but the drag link is the same so you wouldn't be able to upgrade from the junk yard.

I can't answer your question but check out IRO Over the Knuckle steering if you are going to buy a whole new setup. That one looks most attractive to me.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
Most people don't upgrade the steering until they up their tire size. What size are you running?

The V8s do have the beefier tie rod but the drag link is the same so you wouldn't be able to upgrade from the junk yard.

I can't answer your question but check out IRO Over the Knuckle steering if you are going to buy a whole new setup. That one looks most attractive to me.
I'm running 31s.. Most people replace it bc it is crappy from what I've read.

I don't have the experience in cutting and welding if you're talking about the flip over knuckle steering... is this what you're talking about? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/h...-flip-1182505/

Unread 01-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I've seen just about every aftermarket steering system get bent and have chewed through 4 Currie tie rods in the last 3 1/2 seasons. I've concluded that the best steering upgrade is a good spotter. Seriously.

If you must "upgrade" then don't use anything that requires reaming out the knuckles or uses heim joints. Once you ream out the knuckles then you can no longer swap in your buddies stock spare as a trail fix.

Go ahead and "upgrade" to the V8 ZJ steering if you want but carry a spare (the whole thing) on the trails. It will be cheaper in the long run.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
torchd
1998 ZJ 

I don't want to ream out the knuckle.

All I want to do is take a V8 tire rod and it's components and put it on my Jeep.

The V8 steering components are beefier and sturdier.

What's a good drag link and track bar (front and rear)

Unread 01-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchd View Post
That is the flip version that I did using a right hand drive drag link. Works great but is was time consuming and needed quite a few tools. If money wasn't an option I would have went with an IRO or U-Turn system.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I don't want to ream out the knuckle.

All I want to do is take a V8 tire rod and it's components and put it on my Jeep.

The V8 steering components are beefier and sturdier.

What's a good drag link and track bar (front and rear)
All you need is the V8 tie rod, a tie rod end and adjuster sleeve, not the drag link (right side outer tie rod end actually). The drag link is the same as all models and is solid bar stock.

I like the IRO front and rear HD track bars.
Unread 01-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Email kolak@aol.com He has very competitive pricing on the JKS track bars and can explain the difference between that and the IRO. I just ordered the front from him.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyZJ

All you need is the V8 tie rod, not the drag link. The drag link is the same as all models and is solid bar stock.

I like the IRO front and rear HD track bars.
Thanks TallyZJ for responding! I was really impressed with your work!! I just don't have the experience to do what you did.

So I got a list of Moog parts to do the V8 tie rod swap. Tie rod, tie rod end and the adjustable sleeve.

I figured I would replace the drag link and track bar while I was there. TallyZJ do you have a preference in a drag link?

Newb question here... What does HD stand for when referring to track bars?

Unread 01-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
torchd
1998 ZJ 

One more thing for Tally..

What is the best way to take the old TRE off and make it match up with the new TRE so that steering isn't too bad before getting an alignment? Don't you count the threads on the old TRE and turn new TRE out just as many threads counted to match it as close as possible?

Thanks

Unread 01-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks TallyZJ for responding! I was really impressed with your work!! I just don't have the experience to do what you did.
Not as difficult as it might seem. Drilling the knuckle was the most important part to get right. It was even very easy though. The rest is mostly just cutting off some parts and installing the new stuff.

Quote:
So I got a list of Moog parts to do the V8 tie rod swap. Tie rod, tie rod end and the adjustable sleeve.

I figured I would replace the drag link and track bar while I was there. TallyZJ do you have a preference in a drag link?
Not really. I like Moog stuff but any major store brand part should be sufficient. I purchased Car Quest brand parts on mine. Its solid stock so its pretty tough.

Quote:
Newb question here... What does HD stand for when referring to track bars?
Heavy Duty. Nice fat thick tubing that is very tough.

Quote:
One more thing for Tally..

What is the best way to take the old TRE off and make it match up with the new TRE so that steering isn't too bad before getting an alignment? Don't you count the threads on the old TRE and turn new TRE out just as many threads counted to match it as close as possible?

Thanks
Better to make an actual measurement instead of counting threads. The old tie rod end will be worn and thread count may not put you back where it was. Measure its length and make the new one the same length.

Still, when you are done with the front end work, get an alignment.

Also, I would replace the steering damper while you are replacing parts under there. its cheap and is a little insurance against wobble and road feel.

I also want to make a little technical note here. What you are calling the drag link is actually the right outer tie rod end. There is no real drag link on this style steering system.
Unread 01-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyZJ View Post
Not as difficult as it might seem. Drilling the knuckle was the most important part to get right. It was even very easy though. The rest is mostly just cutting off some parts and installing the new stuff.

Not really. I like Moog stuff but any major store brand part should be sufficient. I purchased Car Quest brand parts on mine. Its solid stock so its pretty tough.

Heavy Duty. Nice fat thick tubing that is very tough.

Better to make an actual measurement instead of counting threads. The old tie rod end will be worn and thread count may not put you back where it was. Measure its length and make the new one the same length.

Still, when you are done with the front end work, get an alignment.

Also, I would replace the steering damper while you are replacing parts under there. its cheap and is a little insurance against wobble and road feel.

I also want to make a little technical note here. What you are calling the drag link is actually the right outer tie rod end. There is no real drag link on this style steering system.
Yeah during the TRE swap I was going to put on a new steering stabilizer while I was there. And yes after the TRE swap I was going to take the Jeep in for an alignment.

What are some good alignment specs for the ZJ with the V8 TRE as well as a 2" BB lift???

Would this be good for the Jeep? The "drag link" and TRE are both 1" solid steel for $150? http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/steeri...ering-kit.html

It says that it is for 99-01 XJs, but is the XJs front suspension the same as ZJs front suspension?

Thanks Tallky for your help!!

Unread 01-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Yeah during the TRE swap I was going to put on a new steering stabilizer while I was there. And yes after the TRE swap I was going to take the Jeep in for an alignment.

What are some good alignment specs for the ZJ with the V8 TRE as well as a 2" BB lift???

Would this be good for the Jeep? The "drag link" and TRE are both 1" solid steel for $150? http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/steering/crown-heavy-duty-steering-kit.html

It says that it is for 99-01 XJs, but is the XJs front suspension the same as ZJs front suspension?

Thanks Tallky for your help!!
The XJ is the same as the ZJ front end parts.

Alignment specs? Just have them get it as close to factory as they can. With a 2" budget lift you won't be that far off.
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyZJ View Post
The XJ is the same as the ZJ front end parts.

Alignment specs? Just have them get it as close to factory as they can. With a 2" budget lift you won't be that far off.
Did you click on the link 2 posts above this?

Would it be worth it to buy those components from that link, or buy the parts individualy?

Unread 01-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Did you click on the link 2 posts above this?

Would it be worth it to buy those components from that link, or buy the parts individualy?

That is a decent price for two pieces. However, I was unsure if the tie rod is the same beefy tie rod that comes with the V8 ZJ? If so, not too bad of price.

I got my tie rod from a salvage yard V8 ZJ and added a brand new tie rod end to it.

I paid like $15.00 for the tie rod and about $25 for a new tie rod end.

The right outer tie rod "drag link" (from the Right Hand Drive Cherokee) is what cost me $140.00.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.