thinking of buying another one! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > thinking of buying another one!

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-14-2005, 12:15 AM   #1
papashango

thinking of buying another one!

ok guys, i love my '93 zj so much that i'm thinking about getting another zj...only this time it's a '98 SE 4x4 with 73000 miles, v8, auto, leather, power blah blah blah...you know the rest...for $7500. what do you think about:

1) is this a good deal?
2) what should i look out for in the v8 in that year?
3) what other things should i look out for in that year and in that trim?
4) [insert any other pertinent advice here]

also, there's this other one that's similar but it's a '96 limited edition 4x4 with 94000 miles, v8, auto, leather, power everything, for $7500 as well. so what do you all think?

1) is this a good deal?
2) what should i look out for in the v8 in that year?
3) what other things should i look out for in that year and in that trim?
4) [insert any other pertinent advice here]

thanks all!

Last edited by papashango; 01-14-2005 at 12:26 AM..
papashango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

The 98 has less miles... thats always a plus... and ummm.... the price of the 96 seems pretty high and the 98 seems kinda high... the 98 sounds like a way better deal to me....
Unread 01-14-2005, 06:48 AM   #3
nova
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The price for the 98 is on par: KBB says private party value is $7995, retail is $9970.
The price for the 96 is high: KBB says private party value is $6500, retail is $8475.
nova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

The discussion of VCs has probably been driven into the ground, but, if it has quadradrive, check the VC by driving slowly in a figure 8. if wants to hop, skip or jump suspect a VC going bad. I love my quadra drive, and its still running strong with 110000 miles, as did my 95 V8 with 150000 mile until it was wrecked.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2005, 12:50 AM   #5
papashango

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova
The price for the 98 is on par: KBB says private party value is $7995, retail is $9970.
The price for the 96 is high: KBB says private party value is $6500, retail is $8475.
well, the '96 is no longer available so no go on that one. but i did find another '96 limited...basically same as everything except it has 120000 original miles with a new v8 mopar motor and new mopar transmission with a warranty...he's asking $7450 for it. i know the original miles are high, but with the new motor and tranny (10k miles on both), should i take that into consideration? i know cars aren't just a motor and tranny (i.e. the VC failures, etc.), but this sounds like a better deal than the '98 with 74000 miles on it...
Unread 01-15-2005, 08:55 AM   #6
MidniteSquirrel

I know I'm new here and I'm no expert. I'm sure these other guys can give you a lot better information than I ever could...

but even with a new motor and tranny, you're right. Other things can go bad and have that 120k wear on them. (I'm assuming this would be a factor)

Difference is of 47,000 miles and that's nothing to really scoff at, to be honest. IMHO I'd look at the '98 and see what condition everything is on it, and if it's good, I'd prefer that over the other.

*shrugs* Dunno. It's just a matter of opinion I guess.

BB+UC 3.5" lift | K&N FIPK | Armor/Tow points |
265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts
MidniteSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2005, 10:29 PM   #7
papashango

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteSquirrel
I know I'm new here and I'm no expert. I'm sure these other guys can give you a lot better information than I ever could...

but even with a new motor and tranny, you're right. Other things can go bad and have that 120k wear on them. (I'm assuming this would be a factor)

Difference is of 47,000 miles and that's nothing to really scoff at, to be honest. IMHO I'd look at the '98 and see what condition everything is on it, and if it's good, I'd prefer that over the other.

*shrugs* Dunno. It's just a matter of opinion I guess.
yeah, i know 47,000 miles is a lot of traveling...but then again, i was talking to someone about this and you know, a lot of things CAN go wrong at 120k miles. but then again, a lot of things CAN go wrong at 75k miles too. but, for the '96 with new engine and tranny, at least i know that i have another 10k miles on the warranty for those two things AND knowing that i at least won't have to worry (talking probabilities now) about buying a new motor and tranny for a while...
Unread 01-17-2005, 10:38 PM   #8
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

In this case maybe it would be best to take the Jeeps and get them checked by a mechanic who know's Jeeps well and have them tell you which Jeep really is in better shape...
Unread 01-17-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
JdawgZJ

we'll need some pics
[COLOR=Red][/COLOR][URL=http://myspace-196.vo.llnwd.net/00212/69/11/212361196_l.jpg][COLOR=navy][B][SIZE=3]Me[/SIZE][/B][/color][/URL] (updated 9/05/05 lol)
[B][COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club member #256[/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]
JdawgZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #10
papashango

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdawgZJ
we'll need some pics
ok, so the search continues...

found a '97 limited edition, v8, 99k miles, leather, power throughout...lady is asking $7200. how much is a "fair" price assuming mechanical condition is good?
Unread 01-25-2005, 09:54 PM   #11
grandman97
Web Wheeler

i bought a 97 laredo I6 with 96k on it for 6800 about 4 months ago and the thing was MINT brand new tires, pads, rotors, exhaust. so i guess 7200 for the may be a little high not much though
grandman97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 06:21 AM   #12
MidniteSquirrel

Yeah, but wouldn't the price difference be attributed to the fact that one is a V8 and the other an I6?

BB+UC 3.5" lift | K&N FIPK | Armor/Tow points |
265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts
MidniteSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #13
papashango

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteSquirrel
Yeah, but wouldn't the price difference be attributed to the fact that one is a V8 and the other an I6?
and that the one i'm looking at is the limited vice the laredo trim? i think i might offer $6000, see what she says...sound like a fair price or is that insulting?
Unread 01-26-2005, 04:35 PM   #14
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

I paid $6900 for a very clean ZJ ltd I6 with ~95000 miles one year ago, from a dealer. Came with brand new Michelin LTX M/S!
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 07:36 PM   #15
papashango

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZJ
I paid $6900 for a very clean ZJ ltd I6 with ~95000 miles one year ago, from a dealer. Came with brand new Michelin LTX M/S!
typically, though, aren't dealers going to be 15% - 20% higher than private party sellers?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.