Thinking about upgrading to long arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Thinking about upgrading to long arms

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

Thinking about upgrading to long arms

So while I've been upgrading everything that breaks or is worn out on my zj here recently I've noticed the need for new rear CA's. Getting alot of noise and axle wrap.I'm currently running a 4" or 4.5" lift (bought it lifted). And instead of buying new short arms I was thinking of going ahead and swapping to long arms. Can I just buy the long arm hardware instead of the full kit and use my current springs, end links, track bar, etc?

Unread 10-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
David97
1995 ZJ 

IRO, Clayton, and I think Rubicon Express all sell long arm upgrade kits. Might be others too.
David97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Out of those 3, Clayton is the only real upgrade.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Clayton is the best of those, but it does rob quite a bit of clearance from under the uniframe rails. Too bad they don't make a true front 3-link + panhard kit for the ZJs, like they do for the XJs. Way better than the so-called "3-link" that is actually radius arms with only a single upper on one arm. The rear lowers could use quite a bit more triangulation on the Clayton kit for added side stability and better axle path, but it anyways is a a 4- link without a trackbar (which is a good thing) and as that a much better system than ie. IRO or RE.

Rubicon express is a radius arm front and 4-link + panhard bar rear long arm kit. So is the IRO kit, but IROs single front upper arm thingy is kind of a joke. I would not trust it with a single 10mm/ 3/8" bolt with the weird adjustment system. Rear setup is pretty much the same as RE (4-link + panhard). Installation is a bit more straightforward on the IRO kit.

If I were to choose from those, I'd get the Clayton kit. Even though it does rob some belly clearance, it's the best of those three. With some DIY high- clearance mounts on the belly, it would be even better.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.