Thinking about getting another orvis... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Thinking about getting another orvis...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-11-2014, 03:07 AM   #1
orvisss
1995 ZJ 

Thinking about getting another orvis...

So, guys, here is the question. I found another orvis (same year, 20k more miles than mine) and is a rust bucket, but interior is in excellent condition. Also bumpers, grille, hood and other small things I'd want off it. My jeep has excellent body (no rust what so ever anywhere, I did check everywhere I could look, including underneath) but has trashed interior. I want that jeep for parts. So, the question is... How the heck to get that Jeep. It is 6hrs away from me and I don't know how to drive two cars at once... It has tow hooks, but I'm guessing they are mainly to get it out if it is stuck. Could I tow that orvis with my orvis? Or what would my options would be?

orvisss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

You either need a full vehicle trailer or a flat tow bar. I wouldn't pull either with your orvis for six hours. Have you looked into having it shipped? It isn't as much as you might think.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Pay a friend to ride along.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
orvisss
1995 ZJ 

Eh, owner is a gal, she won't do shipping and such. Friends all work during the week. Can I pull is with dodge ram pickup and a tow bar? Where would I attach it to on the orvis side? Also can it be towed if I switch TC into neutral?
On the other side there is another orvis two states away from me (actually easier to get there) but that thing has 6cyl engine and he wants like 4K for it. Although that jeep is in very good condition. 165k miles.
Unread 07-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Have someone fairly local look at it, pay for it on your behalf, and park it somewhere. From there, you can either have it shipped or tow it via Ram pickup if you have one. A towbar would be a bit of work, as it has to bolt to the front crossmember, but a Ram should have enough brakes to stop a ZJ's weight. Depends on the Ram.

I'm always pro-another-Orvis.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2014, 03:10 AM   #6
orvisss
1995 ZJ 

It is Ram 2500, so I would imagine it would have enough power to tow and to break while towing a ZJ. So, I'm guessing that I would have to take the front bumper off and bolt it down where tow hooks are? Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in that town or near that town. So I'm guessing it would be the easiest to bring someone with. I'm not sure in what mechanical state that thing is in, I'm really buying it for parts, so not that important. Driving orvis, I came to really like that special edition. If before I didn't care if interior gets all colorful (ie different seats, liftgate internal panel is now different color too) now I suddenly want my jeep to be as original as it can be:d But just owner of that rusty orvis with good interior says "some problems with transmission, but drivable". No explanations beyond that
Unread 07-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, a 2500 would be plenty to flat-tow a ZJ. Basically, you remove the bumper cover (look at it the wrong way and it'll take itself off) and you mount the tow bar to... Somewhere. I'm not entirely sure where exactly on the ZJ, but presumably the tow hook mounts. I've seen a ZJ with tow bar mounts before, I just don't remember the specifics.

Then you put it in TC Neutral, put it in park, turn the key to on, and tow the bastard.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
orvisss
1995 ZJ 

ah, thanks! This is what I needed to know. I'm assuming, tow bar would attach where those hooks are attached?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.