Thinking about buying a ZJ but have questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Thinking about buying a ZJ but have questions

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 07-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

Thinking about buying a ZJ but have questions

Im going to look at a jeep that is for sale on friday and i have a few questions regarding Zjs before i go. First of all about the jeep:

90000, jeep dealer installed a new engine at 76k
318, AWD
lerado but its loaded which i thought was odd
new tires, new brakes (i guess everything after the line is new)

they are looking for 3000 obo. Is that a good price? I guess everything works but the AC which i will fix if i get it. they said it was super clean in and out

I know the magnum engines have some issues but im not to worried about that seeings how it only has 14k on the engine. but what about the transmission and transfer case? Are they known for any issues? Also, where should i look for rust?

What kind of mileage can i expect out of this in stock condition? What about with like a 2 inch BB and 31s? i Know its not going to get great and im use to lifted jeep mileage but im just wondering.

and last question, do all lerados have that black plastic molding along the bottom? Im Really hoping this one doesn't because im not really a fan of that.

Arcticcat843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
vegasZJ
1998 ZJ 

I have a 98 lerado SE. As far as I know it is the only lerado that has colored plastic. As of now I have 201,000 miles and the truck runs like its new. But they have been known to have trans issues. You should be good as long as its taken care of.
Unread 07-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
sebian
1995 ZJ 

I would maybe try to talk him down to the 2500-2700 range.

Check the under body for rust for sure. If Michigan uses salt on their roads, there will likely be some rust underneath. Mine had a tone of rot on the frame rail right behind the lower control arm on the passenger side.

Mine is at 208k and still running strong, though I am up for a double differential rebuild soon.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
jreyes0a39oz
1998 ZJ 

most jeeps go bad on the transfer case or have problems with the 4*4 as long as you take care of it it will last mine has 250000 with original tranny and engine and is still runing good
jreyes0a39oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

my dad went and looked at it yesterday and i just got off the phone with him and he gave me some more info..

Its a Limited not a lerado (which makes sence)
It had a new long block installed and a rear axle installed 14k miles ago (by local jeep dealer under warranty)

He said the front bumper was scrapped up a little (white paint scraped off)
He said it had the silver and gold wheels and the silver part was oxidized

besides that it was perfect. My dad said he would drive it across the country and if i dont buy it he is going to. So im really hoping to get it for 2500 it sounds like it would be a good buy.

Still wondering about gas mileage with 31s? Also can i fit 31x10.5s with a BB?
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticcat843
my dad went and looked at it yesterday and i just got off the phone with him and he gave me some more info..

Its a Limited not a lerado (which makes sence)
It had a new long block installed and a rear axle installed 14k miles ago (by local jeep dealer under warranty)

He said the front bumper was scrapped up a little (white paint scraped off)
He said it had the silver and gold wheels and the silver part was oxidized

besides that it was perfect. My dad said he would drive it across the country and if i dont buy it he is going to. So im really hoping to get it for 2500 it sounds like it would be a good buy.

Still wondering about gas mileage with 31s? Also can i fit 31x10.5s with a BB?
To your 31's/BB question, yes, but you'll most likely have to trim the front bumper cover. And on the stock wheels you might rub the ca's at full lock.

But it sounds like a good deal. Just small cosmetic stuff to worry about. I'd buy it.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
NWDave

I'd be wondering why the original engine went South at only 76,000 miles, weird.....
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

The people selling it are friends of my parents. He said that he was driving down the highway and went to pass someone and it started making noise. So he drove it home and then to the dealer and they said it spun a bearing. They replaced the engine under warrenty and then they said come back in 1000 miles to check for leaks and stuff. At that time he notices a rear end noise and they put in a new rear end under warrenty also.

Ill post some pics friday if i buy it (99% sure i will)
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
sabzz
1997 ZJ 

Not all of them have the cladding on the bottom. As for the engine, its a good engine and transmission IMO, but the transfer case, SUCKS. Again, IMO. If you get it, I would put in a 242 Selec-Trac Transfer case. (has 2hi, 4 part time, 4 hi, N, and 4 Low) As for price I would jump on that deal!
sabzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabzz
Not all of them have the cladding on the bottom. As for the engine, its a good engine and transmission IMO, but the transfer case, SUCKS. Again, IMO. If you get it, I would put in a 242 Selec-Trac Transfer case. (has 2hi, 4 part time, 4 hi, N, and 4 Low) As for price I would jump on that deal!
Eh. For a dd, if the vc is good the 249 is a good case. Hell, for mild offloading a 96+ 249 with a good vc is still a decent case.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

You said they installed a longblock in there ? The ZJ engine compartment is EXTREMELY small, i dont think a long block anything would fit in there. The Magnum V8's are small block engines, and there is litterally maybe 3 inchs of room between the pully's the fan blades.

Gas mileage on a 318 and a 360 are generally between 11-14 city, and 16-20 highway. Depends on your driving habbits/speed and where your driving, and if the engine is in good shape and not dirty or burning oil. If your dad is driving this accross country, and if you want the best gas mileage keep the speed at 65mph or lower, and keep it on cruise control. You should get a good 18-20mpg at 65mph
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
9859limited
1998 ZJ 

Is not a long block a motor with some of the accessories attached?
9859limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
You said they installed a longblock in there ? The ZJ engine compartment is EXTREMELY small, i dont think a long block anything would fit in there. The Magnum V8's are small block engines, and there is litterally maybe 3 inchs of room between the pully's the fan blades.
"Long Block" doesn't mean the size of the engine!!! It means what the engine comes with. A short block is just the Block and it's components (i.e. pistons, crank and possibly oil pump and such). Basically everything below the heads and above the oil pan. A "Long Block" includes everything else, minus accessories (i.e. alternator, A/C, power steering). Some will come with the intake, some will not.

So a new Long Block is basically a new engine. 3K sounds like a good deal.
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugulis View Post
"Long Block" doesn't mean the size of the engine!!! It means what the engine comes with. A short block is just the Block and it's components (i.e. pistons, crank and possibly oil pump and such). Basically everything below the heads and above the oil pan. A "Long Block" includes everything else, minus accessories (i.e. alternator, A/C, power steering). Some will come with the intake, some will not.

So a new Long Block is basically a new engine. 3K sounds like a good deal.
exactly.

Candyman, what you are thinking of is a Big Block
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.