Things to Look for Buying a 2002-2004 WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Things to Look for Buying a 2002-2004 WJ

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
atchudy

Things to Look for Buying a 2002-2004 WJ

I'm looking at a couple 2002-2004 Limited or Overland in NJ this weekend, with 60-80k Miles.

What should I look for when driving and inspecting the car?

atchudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Make sure it runs. You'll want to shift through all transfer case selections, 4wd full, part, lo and make sure it shifts nicely. Make tight figure 8s and check for binding, anything binding.

Then the usual, oil or coolant in the exhaust, tires, dings, check the undercarriage in case someone hit a big rock or something ...

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
cmonson

check for hvac codes relating to the blend doors which will be a problem unless someone else dealed with them.

do some tight figure 8s and check for binding.

smell the tranny fluid to see if it s burnt.

In all truth, if you do not feel confident inspecting a car on your own, go to a Jeep dealer and pay them to do an inspection. Well worth the money if you are spending $8K+ on a car.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
volvite
1999 WJ 

Best option, take it too a Jeep dealership. I did before I bought mine, and it cost 50 bucks for a used car pre inspection. They advised me of a new belt and the hood lift shocks, both of which I already knew about, but it confirmed what I had decided.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
malibubts
2002 WJ 

If it's an 02 you might want to check out the brake calipers. Jeep put front calipers that warped the rotors on until mid 02. Here is some info on WJ Jeeps about the situation.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.