Things I get to teach myself to fix.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Things I get to teach myself to fix....

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 06-27-2003, 02:11 PM   #1
Zaphod
SACPOWERTV.com

1981 J-Series Truck 

Things I get to teach myself to fix....

Well, here goes... I need to fix/replace the following on my 94 zj 5.2:

1. Replace return line from tranny cooler to transmission
2. Replace both cv boots on front axle
3. Replace battery with optima yellow/red top and battery cables
4. is my radiator leaking? I hope not, if so... replace that.
5. replace my a/c compressor and have my a/c system flushed and rec-charged.
6. steam-clean my damn engine compartment... thing is dirty as ****.

I don't know if I have to do #4 and I know I have to take it to a shop to do #5 (having the system flushed and charged, anyway), and 6 is a no-brainer. If there are any tips on 1-3, please feel free to reply away. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm really stressin' on having to do the cv boots, anybody have a link to an online tutorial with pictures and step-by-step instructions? thanks again!

"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone,
somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people
over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 04:34 PM   #2
sn0b0ards

i think someone gave instructions in another thread like 2 days ago, look at the current threads. (for cv boot, i think he said it wasnt hard)
sn0b0ards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 09:42 PM   #3
RockPaws

The first order of business is to purchase a Factory Service Manual. It has a very good description of operation for each item. It's a great wat to learn about your Jeep. Then move onto repair and how to sections. Wiring and plug hook up charts are great. It also show where all the wire loom route. And many other items and sections. Don't go the cheap route and buy a hanes or chiltions they are very limited. (They too have some good points). The FSM is far superior and well worth the money, so pony up and get one.

To order the FSM go here:
http://www.techauthority.daimlerchrysler.com/

Have fun
Frank
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 10:00 PM   #4
thunderchooch
1997 ZJ 

I just replaced one of my cv boots like a week ago I think the thread is still floating around somewhere. You will need a inch and a half socket , a set of 12 point wrenches, $5 at autozone and a cv boot clamp wrench also $5 at autozone. The manual is also a good idea it tells you step by step how to do it. also make sure you clean where the old boot was real good and repack it with the lube that is supplied in the boot kit, which I think I paid $11 for. I hope that helps out a little, It took about 2 hours to do.
Kevinz Radiator support and shackles, Tom Woods driveshafts, OME SD-40 steering stabilizer, Cobra CB and PA, Bilstein Shocks, 35" BFG MUD TA KM2's, FM50, Surco Roof Rack, IRO Heavy Duty Steering and more to come soon!!
thunderchooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 12:05 AM   #5
Zaphod
SACPOWERTV.com

1981 J-Series Truck 

RockPaws... does the FSM do step-by-step instructions? That is my main complaint with haynes... they assume you know everything already and just gloss over the details.

P.S. Living in a city where they brew Sierra Nevada Beer (Especially Crystal Wheat and SUmmerfest) RULES! A 6 pack is like 4 bucks and a 12 pack is around 7.5

"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone,
somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people
over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2003, 03:47 PM   #6
anthonyh75

I have subscribed to alldata.com it is what the shops use. It is only 15 a year I think and gives you TSB's and all kind of tips and diagrams
Unread 07-03-2003, 06:25 AM   #7
Howler

Replacing the boot is not that hard at all. I find Haynes is pretty close with there discription on it.
Howler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.