Things to fix/check for while dash is out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Things to fix/check for while dash is out?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 02-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Spanovich008
1995 ZJ 

Things to fix/check for while dash is out?

So my heater started to blow luke-warm again (heat is about 100F at startup, and 130F after an hour of driving.) So I flushed out the heater core and absolutely NO dirt, grime, rust, etc. came out. I took the Jeep to the dealership to let them take a look at it, as well as replace the stripped Lug-nuts on the front two tires.

To make a long story short, they told me that my heater core is shot, and it needs replaced. I don't have $750 at the moment, but I do have $60 that I can use to pick up a Spectra Heater Core this weekend.

I'm going to give it a shot this weekend, removing the dash, replacing the heater core and the whole nine yards, but my question is......what else should I check/fix/replace while I have the dash out. I hear blend doors are an issue, however i'm fairly sure they're working correctly. Also, my A/C blows fairly cold (not super cold, only fairly cold) on hot days so I'm definitely going to give the evaporator an inspection. These are the only two things I have planned, but if anybody has any other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

Unread 02-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Inspect mode/blend doors, linkages, wiring. For manual control type, check vacuum lines, especially the black line going through the firewall.

If heater core is not plugged and flows well, how can it be shot?
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Spanovich008
1995 ZJ 

Okay will do, thanks for the advice.

And honestly, about the heater core, I don't really know what exactly is wrong with it. All I know is that I back-flushed it once, then was puzzled because no dirt/debris came out, so I took The Works - Toliet Bowl Cleaner (very powerful stuff) and let it sit in the heater core for about an hour, back-flushed it again, and STILL no dirt came out.......yet it still blows luke warm air despite the ambient air temperature. 120F - 130F isn't that hot especially in 10F-20F weather. My dad's Explorer and my Mom's Honda both blow nearly 170-180F after about 10 minutes after driving. All of these temperatures were verified with an Infrared Thermometer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.