These compression numbers ok ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > These compression numbers ok ??

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-17-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

These compression numbers ok ??

Ok i did compression test, as i've never done it b4 on my 5.9 and these were my results. With a warm motor i tested it dry and then squirted oil in there.

#1. 160, with oil 167

#2. 150, with oil 155

#3. 164, with oil 167

#4. 165, with oil 168

#5. 163, with oil 169

#6. 163, with oil 168

#7. 164, with oil 166

#8. 160, with oil 165

Is this ok ? Number 2 seems low, but it didnt Jump anymore then the others did with oil in it. I checked it twice to make sure. I dunno number 2 has me a little worried because its like 10-15psi lower then the others.

Btw i disconnected the ignition oil, and move the wires away from the coil itself. I didnt have the engine on WOT tho.. read that after i did this.. Is this ok ?

One thing i noticed was when reading #2 which is the one closest to the ignition coil the engine was sputtering and shaking and the light in the engine bay was flashing.. I have no idea why it did that on #2 and not the rest. Could it be because the coil is closest to #2 ? Should i try it again and maybe remove the coil from the engine all together, cause it acted like it was actually trying to start

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Its within the acceptable range, what I did though was yank the fuel pump relay since that's much simpler. All you need to do is prevent it from starting. WOT should prevent it from starting since its gas pedal is connected to the throttle body, but unless you have an assistant you might not be able to crank it and watch the gauge while holding the throttle open.

Acceptable range is usually 10%, so that isn't outside of the specs.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Those numbers look good to me, I personnally like to see no more than 10% difference as mentioned above, but even 20% would be considered ok. The reason for cranking at WOT is to allow as much potential air into the cylinders as possible. Cranking at WOT also disables the fuel injectors via PCM, it is a "clear flood" strategy. I usually just unplug the coil just so ign sparks dont fly around.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.