Thermostat issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Thermostat issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
jchambers224
1995 ZJ 

Thermostat issue

We have had 3 different thermostats in our 95 GC and cant get any of them to run anywere close to the 195-210 mark. Whats the deal?

jchambers224 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

try changing the coolant temp sensor on top of and at the back of the head, or first just try cleaning and reseating the connector
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

the gauge is probably off. when my gauge reads 210, an infrared thermometer shot at the cylinder head reads 165
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Why are you replacing the thermostat? Are you experiencing overheating issues? The stock thermostat is 195 degrees. Your 4.0L should run at 210 all day long.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Are you using one of those 'Fail Safe' thermostats? They are junk.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Agree that FailSafe are crap, so are the Robert Shaw hi flow thermostats, used to be the best but I had two fall apart in my engines.

As stated above we could use more info. Are you over heating, is the gauge doing weird things, anything else going on? Bad fan clutch? Any other engine issues?
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

I had a similar problem on my 5.2l. Temp kept going up and down randomly. even spiked once then suddenly fell back down to 210. Needless to say i tried the failsafe therm, JUNK! They actually lock open once they hit they designed temp and they STAY open until replaced. My problem turned out to be the fan clutch. The resistance test didnt help me any cause i still had what seemed to be a good amount of pull on it, but sure enough it was bad. Today going with a new OEM thermostat, and just a quick compression test to make sure my head gasket is still good. Coolant is looking a lil cloudy, but not using/leaking oil or coolant, no coolant mixed with oil, not burning white smoke, but still weird colored coolant.
Dubfire98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
jchambers224
1995 ZJ 

Problem solved! It was the coolant temperature switch. We are having problems with it smoking when it is sitting at an idle. When we take off again it smokes. Noticed it wasnt runnimg at approp temp so thought it might be that. Still smoking though after this was fixed. I have another thread regarding this matter now.
jchambers224 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.