Is there a difference between LHD and RHD Tie rod ends - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is there a difference between LHD and RHD Tie rod ends

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
jbayjeeplady
1996 ZJ 

Is there a difference between LHD and RHD Tie rod ends

Hi need some advice please, just took my Jeep in to check Lower Control Arm bushings, only to be told I need to replace all tie rod ends, pitman arm, lower control arm and Cv boot. No way I am buying those parts in South Africa! Can get most of these online @ rockauto or jeepdiscountspares, who I have used before. My problem is I don't know if there is a difference between LHD and RHD TRE"s. Small town only has one mechanic, and a bit wary of driving to see anyone else, even though I am keen on a second opinions seeing as I did redo most of the front suspension a couple of years ago. Again, all advice welcome and appreciated

jbayjeeplady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

In my 1993 Mopar parts catalogue, the left and right TREs have different part numbers. The passenger side one is specifically indicated as being right-hand thread, and I believe that the driver side one is left-hand thread. I guess that confirms they're not interchangeable.

You'll probably want to confirm that 100% for the 1996 ZJ, but I don't think the steering linkage changed in any of the ZJ model years.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I can see why threading might be different between left and right. I can't see why the ends would be different between LHD and RHD.

I have a very hard time understanding why a pitman arm would need replacement . . . . unless maybe your steering box is also ripped from the frame. . .
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

D'oh! I read the OP's question as being about left side and right side TREs, not about left-hand drive and right-hand drive
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
jbayjeeplady
1996 ZJ 

@Technohead.....being a woman, mechanics often try to rip me off...silly, I got the internet and this forum. The pitman arm looks perfectly okay to me and I'm still driving the car, nothing broken off yet. He did say the steering arm needs replacing, excuse my ignorance but I can't find a part called that in my manual....maybe he meant the control arm, but he did say that the lower control arm needs replacing too. The only reason I took it in was because it pulls quite strongly to the right if I let go of the wheel an a little while back I was doing 120km/hour and it got a damn scary wobble....death wobble?
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Control arms are what attach the axle to the truck. You have 4 in front and 4 in rear. If the bushings on those have never been replaced then is assured that they are bad and need to be replaced so you can have that "tight" new truck feeling again. The lower arms are what takes the biggest beating. You can replace just the bushings or replace the arms that come with the bushings installed. I used Rock auto for that.

As said above, there would be no reason to replace the pitman arm. But the steering box or "gear" that it is attached to may be worn out and have a loose feeling when steering. When that happens you can rebuild it or replace it. I just replaced mine and it made a very big difference. There is a away to adjust it first to see if you can get some more miles out of it. Here is the link http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...ering-1164443/

Good luck on the rest.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbayjeeplady View Post
He did say the steering arm needs replacing
Possibly he means the drag link? That connects to the Pitman arm to the steering knuckle and has balljoints (which can wear out) at each end. The joint at the Pitman arm end is essentially a standard TRE and is replaceable separately, but the one at the steering knuckle end is non-serviceable and so if it's shot, you have to replace the drag link.
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
Possibly he means the drag link? That connects to the Pitman arm to the steering knuckle and has balljoints (which can wear out) at each end. The joint at the Pitman arm end is essentially a standard TRE and is replaceable separately, but the one at the steering knuckle end is non-serviceable and so if it's shot, you have to replace the drag link.
That is probably what is meant here. I did mine shortly after I purchased it. All tie rod ends were shot and original.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:14 AM   #9
jbayjeeplady
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for all the info Took it to someone else and they reckon only cv joints and pitman arm need replacing, and yes I am driving this vehicle. Phoned for cv joint quote thisa morning and was told that because my front prop is disconnected that I don't need to replace CVjoints.....I am honestly admitting that I am confused, mechanics here seem to want to take my bank account for a ride, so please help, oh great Jeep Info men
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #10
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

The threads on the rod ends are opposite for RHD. Ur better off replacing the whole steering setup. I did mine from rustys offroad for like 275 with shipping.IRO has a kit too

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.