Is there any way a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo could make a 3,000 mile trip? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is there any way a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo could make a 3,000 mile trip?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
cinderwild
1993 ZJ 

Is there any way a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo could make a 3,000 mile trip?

I haven't filled out my information yet but I wanted to know if it was even remotely possible before doing so. I'm not a car person and this was a hand me down.

I'm trying to move to California from Indiana and if I can't take this Jeep then it will be another six months before I can do so. Both my uncle, an ex-mechanic, and my dad say they can't see it happening.

It runs fine despite a few issues over the past few months. It started smoking from behind the steering wheel on one occasion and on another a high pressure hose busted and had to be replaced.

Sorry for the lack of info but I just wanted to know if there was even any hope.

(Also I just presumed it was ZJ since it is a 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo. If I'm in the wrong section sorry about that).

cinderwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
BlastMasta
1996 ZJ 

You're better off selling it and getting one with the Cali emissions factory installed.
BlastMasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Year is not the issue... The overall condition is what matters. I've driven my '89 YJ on 35s cross country 5 times, twice with over 200k on the engine/tranny. Getting the rig registered in Cali is going to be the challenge. Better off selling it where you are and getting something else in Cali

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
BlastMasta
1996 ZJ 

Overall condition is the important part

But if you intend on living there you need a jeep with cali emissions on it. It's expensive and difficult to convert. OBD1 probably easier than OBD2 though.

Either way, if you want to do it, it needs to be gone over with a fine tooth comb. ALL lines, hoses, connectors, fluids, and(miles depending) i would rebuild the trans, check the rears, T-case, and if it's solid i'd do it.
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Have a smart phone? If so Id go for it. Im willing to bet if you broke down along the way most members here would go out of there way to help you out. If not... Pad the bank account a little and go for it. Adventure of a lifetime.
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It's trying to tell you not to move to California.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Rimfired
1993 ZJ 

Sell it there and buy a plane ticket. If you're a Jeep guy you can get a decent ZJ for $1500 once you're here. Like others said already, it'll be too expensive to convert to Kalifornia standards. Sell it running as is and get some money in your pocket, or chance it and possibly end up with nothing, and if it did make it prepare to fork over more cash for conversions. No-brainer really, unless of course it has sentimental value.
Rimfired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

California emissions aside, I drove from Austin, TX to Greensboro, NC (1,300 miles) and towed my sister's Probe back loaded down with all her stuff with my 93 about two years ago. It has 265000 on it now but the trans is a junkyard piece with about 160000 on it. No issues, still going strong.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Age like said isn't the issue... its how well the Jeep is running.. I've seen plenty of 98's that couldn't even make it out of the neighborhood lol... our 4.0 has 204k miles on it, and it drove 2 1600 mile trips just fine.. Was quiet as a whistle, a/c works fine so forth
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
chetzar
1994 ZJ 

I just drove my ZJ 1000 Miles a month ago with 210k on Orig Engine/Tranny so it can be done (even managed to squeeze 20mpg). But as stated, if your moving to Cali, I would try to get a car in Cali for emissions AND it will be less rusty. Cali cars tend to be more desired because of the mild climate and lack of salt on the roads in the winter.
chetzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #11
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

I'll agree. Move to Nevada, or Oregon. Just drive in to Cali when you have to. Don't move to Cali.

3K Miles on a ZJ is nothing. So long as it's Maintained. Remember Oil every 3-5K, Tranny, Spark Plugs, and dif fluids every 25-30K. Radiator check every 6 months and A/C Service every spring. Also Windshield Washer fluid when you get gas, and blades every 6 months(sooner IF streaking occurs).
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #12
BlastMasta
1996 ZJ 

I got my 96 ZJ 8 months ago and have been wheeling it hard and still dropped 40,000 miles on it. It can be done for sure
Just heavily inspect everything.
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #13
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
If the basic maintenance has been done during the past years I see absolutely no reason for a vehicle to not make a 3000 mile trip. If it's had a poor maintenance history, I'd stay within a couple miles from home/ garage I did a 2500 mile trip with my 18 year old lifted XJ a couple years ago, carrying four people, four downhill bikes + all the gear for a 1-week trip. I wasn't even doubting doing the roadtrip since I knew the condition of the vehicle being used.

I don't know about the specifics on cali emissions, but as far as I know you basically need the vehicle to have cali emissions package on it to be able to register it there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
Rook87
1997 ZJ 

I'm driving to Colorado/Moab from Chicago on Saturday to wheel in a 97. I sure hope a zj can do a 3,000+ trip
Rook87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
Hvacdude
1994 ZJ 

Things I would make sure are good. Radiator, hoses, belt, water pump, steering pump, alternator, starter and brakes. All of those can fail with out warning. Check oil/trans fluid regularly during your trip. Take a set of metric wrenches, sockets, channel locks, and screwdrivers. all of the things I mentioned can be fixed on the road pretty easy. How's your karma ?
Hvacdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.