(TEXAS)Help With My AC (Blower Motor Controller) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > (TEXAS)Help With My AC (Blower Motor Controller)

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-17-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Briandl

(TEXAS)Help With My AC (Blower Motor Controller)

Well I've talked about this before but things finally got really bad.

I first bought my Jeep about four months or so ago within the first week my AC (99 Grand Cherokee Limited With Automatic Control Zone) momentarily went out when I drove by another Jeep Grand Cherokee, it was like it went from 100% then dipped to 20% then came right back up, this all happened within a second.

A few months later I was driving and hit a slight curve and when I came out of the curve I got no air from the AC, I pulled over about thirty seconds later with the intention of stopping and turning the engine off and restarting to see if it would come back on, well as soon as I stopped it came right back on.

Yesterday things were working perfectly and today when I got into the Jeep no air would blow.

Here is what I know:

Everything lights up.

I get no air from anywhere, in any mode including defrost.

I can hear the compressor click and come on, my RPM's go up slightly.

The part near the firewall on the passenger side in the engine compartment gets cold, as does the plastic part near where the passengers legs are.

If I turn off recirculation some cool air will come through the system.

My conclusion is the blower motor controller so my questions are:

Does anyone agree?

Anyway to check it, clean it, or anything like that?

Is it difficult to replace myself and if so where is it located?

I did find this diagram but I wasn't sure what the location was:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/interior/blower_motor.jpg

Thanks!

Unread 06-17-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
ddruker
2000 WJ 

I have had the same problem with my 2000 GC.

The blower controller is a small black box underneath the glove compartment. It comes off easily with a philips screwdriver. . On mine, one of the connectors had overheated and melted. Arcing had caused a buildup of soot / carbon which eventually caused the blower to stop working. I was able to track down the problem just by wiggling the wiring harness going into this box - that would make my blower motor start going again.

Lots of people have this problem - the connectors Jeep uses are probably undersized or too loose causing arcing and overheating.

To fix this I took the wiring harness off, and used fine sandpaper to clean the carbon off of the contacts and I squeezed the female connector with a pliers to make a tighter connection. I then applied conductive grease and voila it's been fixed for a year now.

You could also replace the blower controller and the wiring harness, or you could solder things together to ensure you don't get arcing again.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
Briandl

Thanks for the input.

Once I found where it was I gave it two solid raps with my knuckles and started it up, came on just fine.

I'm thinking I'll take a good look at it and see if anything obvious is wrong, if not I may go ahead and replace it, if something is obvious like the buildup you mentioned I'll try cleaning it first.

I might also try the junkyard before the dealer since the part is 111.00

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.