Testing the waters on a grand cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Testing the waters on a grand cherokee

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
wmeyer116
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Testing the waters on a grand cherokee

So right now I have a TJ. I love it but... when I got it I didnt really get what I should have, and now i have to replace axles.... and you know all that stuff.

I have always liked the look of a good lifted grand cherokee, and secretly like them as much as wranglers.

here is my question...

If I happened to want to sell my wrangler, what would i want to look for in a grand cherokee. I know that manual transmissions aren't common, but i really want one. what years did this come in? what motor would i want to look for?

Also, what axles should i look for, and what is the largest tire size i can run with them

how much is a good lift to run 33's?
how reliable are they compared to tjs?

just pretty much the stuff you guys would want on yours for a good platform to start from if you were beginning a build

thanks alot
what gas milage lol

Leave your inbred childish comments somewhere else. They are not welcome on JF
wmeyer116 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

Finding a 5 speed behind a I6, will be hard since they only made 600 in 93' and 400 in 94'.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
wmeyer116
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well.... other than that. If i got an automatic
Unread 09-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

I have a 4" with 31's and no rub, if you don't mind trimming a little they should fit. THe wranglers and grands share alot of the same parts from the same manufacturer so reliability should be simular.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
zjzach
1993 ZJ 

I went from xj to zj and stayed with the I6.
zj's also have the 5.2L V8, and in '98 the 5.9
the I6 only has d30 and d35s tho, some or all V8s have a d44 out back? im not sure, theres guys around here that know more then me.
Unread 09-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
99avant

Do you want a WJ or a ZJ?

wj- 4.7 + 242 + 30 + 44a FTW

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
AEagle326
1995 ZJ 

I recommend a ZJ because you can get one for cheap these days, there is tons more aftermarket support than a WJ. The I6 is sufficient for the ZJ, but the MPG difference from the V8 is ~1.5MPG. Plus you get sooo much more power and torque with that V8 it makes a world of difference.

Where do you think TJs got their suspension from?

ZJs are very reliable vehicles if maintained properly. Be sure to do routine inspection before purchasing, but they are bulletproof vehicles. Built very well and last a lifetime, but that doesnt mean parts dont wear out.

33" tires can be run with 4.5" or so of lift with some minor trimmings, but take that with a grain of salt.

I have a friend running 36" TSL swampers on his D35 with 4.56 gears. It's a bit of a stretch but its possible. a V8 ZJ years 96-98 have the D44a, 93-95 have the D35. All I-6 ZJs rock the 35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
You can never go wrong with an Orvis.
AEagle326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

As far as axles, the TJ and ZJ are on equal ground. So any problems you have with your TJ, you'll have again with a ZJ. However, I went from a built Wrangler 5-speed to this ZJ automatic and I don't regret it a bit. The Wrangler was such a b*tch on the highway that I'd never drive it on trips to offroad parks. The Grand is comfy enough for me and the entire family to drive it places. And that alone is worth the swap to me. The removable top was nice on perfect days. But perfect days are few and far between here. So for an all around vehicle, you can't beat the ZJ in my opinion.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
wmeyer116
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What do you think i could get a good zj for? stock but in good condition? A v8 like you guys said
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
Watkins98
1998 ZJ 

I was in the same boat as you but i kept my wrangler and picked up a 98 ZJ Laredo with IL6 for 2500 it was never off roaded or wrecked and garage kept. I have a 4" rough country kit with 32x11.50x15. I got tired of driving the wrangler everyday that's why i bought the GC. The grand hangs well where my TJ did just has more of a better ride lol. I'm averaging about 15 when mainly doing highway driving.
Watkins98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2009, 05:16 AM   #11
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

I6 with 3.73 rears. FTW. engines last forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.