Ten disk CD changer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ten disk CD changer

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-24-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
carpetking

Ten disk CD changer

Hi there, Just bought a used 2000 GC and the 10 disk CD changer is getting an error every time we try to access it. We have loaded cd's in every slot and turned them both right side up and upside down. Have used commercial CD's and still the the 'err' on the stereo. The unit is grabbing the cd and pulling it into the mechanisim, but as soon as it does that, we get the 'err' on the stereo. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this topic has already been addressed earlier, but we didn't see it in any of the recent topics and we can not search. Thanks!

carpetking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
jeep_on

Mine dose this from time to time, and I read it is a problem. Ive used a laser lens cleaner and I think it helped. Maybe yours is just dirty. Trying running a cleaner in it and see what happens.

Welcome to JF. Great choice on the year BTW.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 12:17 AM   #3
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Very common problem, dealer will try to sell you a referb'd one for somewhere in the neighborhood of $400, be sure to laugh at him and walk out. I went with an aftermarket MP3 player and used the factory changer as a boat anchor, turns out it didn't work to well for that either

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik
Very common problem, dealer will try to sell you a referb'd one for somewhere in the neighborhood of $400, be sure to laugh at him and walk out. I went with an aftermarket MP3 player and used the factory changer as a boat anchor, turns out it didn't work to well for that either
$400? Damn! I didn't think they even cost that new. As for the boat anchor, thats what Macintashs are for.

Quote:
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
Unread 09-25-2006, 12:36 AM   #5
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

They told me $800 brand new

I spent $150 on a Sony Xplod for the Jeep and and other $150 on an Alpine for my car, by far the best investment, considering you can fit 150 songs on a disk.

Others hook up an IPOD or another type of mobile MP3, six of one or half a dozen of the other. There is also another benifit of removing the changer, you can use that compartment to hold all kinds of cool stuff. I got a power invertor, flashlight, batteries, oil rag's, zip ties, duct tape, twist cords and it also doubles as a mount for the top of my C02 tank

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 01:34 AM   #6
jeep_on

Good God! $800? Damn! Damn! But I all most forgot what JEEP really stands for... LOL. I my self like Mopar’s iPod hook up. Helped a buddy stick one in his Overland and its nice. All though they told us it would be a tight fit behind his RB1, and they were right. No wonder they didn’t offer if with the WJ.

I like that option alot better b/c it keeps the factory radio. I really don’t like the look of aftermarket decks, but that’s just me. To me its like putting a white CD burner in a computer that as a black case. It just stands out to much,

Quote:
Unread 09-25-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
j.love
1994 ZJ 

I'm gona chime in here and agree with Jeep_on, I like the look of a good factory radio. Fills the dash in properly and the lights match the other components in the dash. They just blend in better.

sooo here is my little rant on aftermarket radios.....

Aftermarlet radios these days have too many flashy lights and strobes on them. Lcd creens that scroll images and messages across the screen that display all sorts of fancy graphics that move too the music and tell you what model radio you just bought just in case you forget! face plates that rotate when you turn them on! Little flip screens that you can recive broadcasts from mars on. Next will be a disco ball that ejects and retracts out of the head unit!

Oh, but the best part is that you only have to controll it threw one button!!! Just hit the button 15 times then rotate it to the left then to the right by a 1/4 turn, then push it 3 more times! All while going down a pothole filled road or threw rush hour trafic or better yet down your favorite SMOOTH trail! Yea and just dont push it the fourth time then you have to wait 5 min. with the volume on 50! then you have to start all over again! but this time if you hit the button more than 3 times after going threw that procedure, the air bags go off!!!

Just put a seperate button for all the controlls! How hard is that??? You know there used to be a day when the more buttons and dials ment the better it was! funny how things change! ( no, I did have shoes when I walked to school, but it was a long walk!)

Ok sure, then lets just try the remote they give you. the remote controlls leave alot to be desired. while they controll alot, they dont do certian things that you would want and others that are just stupid. I.E. why do I want an cd eject button on the remote? If im gona eject a cd and remove it, dont I have to reach over to the unit anyway? Use that remote button for some thing I need like a seperate volume controll! Ok, they are small and compact little units thats nice. Ever try and hold one in your hand so that you can actualy hit all of the buttons with out constantly moving the thing aroung in your hand, fumbeling around looking down to see what button your actualy hitting? "hey I think my thumb has a cramp, pull me out coach!" do all that and acualy drive strait? Soon they will have a "No remote while driving" law! Hell, this little tourture device usualy winds up laying in the botom of the center console of your favorite vehicle, and you wind up giving up on the whole idea after five min. of listening to a song on the radio that you just cant stand and just reach over and hit that damb button anyway!

Yea, and dont get me started on the detachable face thing! when was the last time you saw a guy walking around with the face plate of his radio in his pocket? Dude its just in the glove box! dont you think that they know that!!!!! And who actualy takes thiers in at night when they park thiers??

After all that, I do have an upgraded stereo in my jeep, but it is a cd/casette style out of a durango. I do like it but I am now looking for an upgrade so I can hook the ipod directly too it. I know I can do the FM transmiter thing, but I do want to look into a unit from a WJ, or simmular, so I can do a direct hook up and controll it threw the head unit. Do you guys know if th WJ radios will fit in the ZJ's?
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 10:43 AM   #8
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Bitter much, Dave?
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Mine does that. I just got the parts to hook-up my ipod. Never looked back.
Unread 09-25-2006, 11:22 AM   #10
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

J. Love just saved me a BUNCH of typing. Thanks for that. I have the same philosophy about my cell phone.

...Just gimmie a damn phone & forget the menus, gazillion settings, ring styles and internet stuff.

About the changer....I've found that once a CD is rotated to the play position, if you immediately (or even before it has finished moving it) try to access a track that is contained on the CD, I have a better chance of getting to play w/o the err problem. It works for me about 60% of the time.

Also, some CDs never seem to allow play and (factory or burned) CDs in some positions ALWAYS play.

BTW: Welcome on....!
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #11
j.love
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites
Bitter much, Dave?
If you think that is bad, you should hear my principle theory on the direct correlation between the amount of stickers used and the down fall of society!
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 12:06 PM   #12
sinsativ

when I get the err message, I just push the CD button again. its a dirty cartridge, holder, take all 10 cds out, blow it clean, and the cd player. The err is due to the changing of cds, one to the other. but it will go away with cleaning and a little patience.
sinsativ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #13
Arkansas_WJ

Go get ipod adaptor..that connects to HU directly not tape play or FM...those are stinky

2000 WJ Limited - 4.7l, 4x4, pioneer HU w/ ipod interface, upgraded front calipers, yakima lowrider system, uniden cb w/ 4 ft firestick, 3.5" tweeter upgrade
Arkansas_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.