Temp guage false reading - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Temp guage false reading

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-27-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
mldcaptain

Temp guage false reading

I'm goin nuts here, hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. When I start my 98 GC, the temperature guage reads as far to the right as it can go even thought the vehicle has been off for hours. Also, my auto headlights turn on in the sunlight. What the hell!?

Anyone got any ideas?

mldcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
Test
2007 WK 

Probably the coolant sensor. As for the headlights, it's probably the sensor located on the top of the dashboard. What year and vehicle?
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
mldcaptain

1998 grand cherokee laredo.
V8
5.2l I think
Unread 05-28-2006, 06:59 AM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

There are two coolant temp gauges. One on the thermostat housing for the ECU and another one for the dashboard gauge reading. Your gage sensor is either broke or more likely not plugged in. Check the electrical connector at the top of the gage. Also with the connector off measure the resistance across the gage. It should measure around 13,000 ohms at 70 F. When a gage pegs all the way to the right, the circuit has an Open. (meaning most of the times that a wire is broke or it is simply not plugged in)

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
mldcaptain

1-where is the gage sensor and what does it look like?
2-I'm assuming I have to take my dash apart to get to the gage and the gage sensor. Is this correct?
Unread 05-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I do not believe the gage is the problem, but the sender unit/probe that will be mounted to the engine somewhere. I do not have your engine so I cannot say where exactly it is.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 05-28-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I do not know enough about the v8 engine. You might have one coolant temp sensor, that doubles as the sender for the dash board gage and the Input to the PCM/ECU? So I would start by examining the one sensor that I know of on the V*, which is located between the A/C compressor and the alternator. Make sure that the electrical connection is sound.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.