Temp 8,500V mod for rodent protection! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Temp 8,500V mod for rodent protection!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 08-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Temp 8,500V mod for rodent protection!

After finding my yellow coolant reservoir cap laying in the drive 3 days in a row, and more hood insulation ripped to shreds, I've again had it! And the wires/hoses are going to be next with teeth marks all over our Jeeps!

As the nights get cooler the dam bushy-tailed rats are taking the insulation home to their dens. And anti-freeze sure must have a sweet smell for them to keep taking my coolant reservoir cap off to try to get to it. Or maybe they just like to chew on plastic like everything else!

I bought the below Victor electronic rat trap last year and those things are really effective while pricey. Wiped the mice out of my basement in just 24 hours last Fall and my SIL out in CA has been zapping rats with it like crazy.

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Electro...ctric+rat+trap

I placed this trap under my ZJ, after baiting with peanut butter, in a plastic container with a small hole cut in it a couple days ago. But think they bypassed it with some strong smell in the container and went right for the cap.

Don't see how they can avoid it now with the trap placed right in my engine compartment. Had to put some sticks under it to prop it up and put a big note on my steering wheel to "Remove Trap" before driving. Learned my lesson on that one when I ran over my live trap under my ZJ! Lol.

Here's a few pics and just hope the squirrel doesn't have it's tail up against the PCM when he walks the 'green mile'!

010-elec-rat-trap-close-up-oil-filter-700x467.jpg

009-elec-rat-trap-coolant-cap-fresh-cab-700x467.jpg

007-chewed-hood-insulation-700x467.jpg

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
AdidasCJ
1996 ZJ 

Ok... i thought it was a spammy post at first from the title... but this post just WINS! I know i know it sucks these bastards are attacking your rig... but your presentation of how to deal with them just WINS! Post pictures when you get the bastards!
AdidasCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks and it's definitely not spam since the rodents have done $5K worth of damage to my Jeeps over the years! Luckily my insurance has covered all the damage with no deductible. But what a pita!

I'll try to post some photos if I get them. I just hope it doesn't turn out like not having water on the spong! Lol.

What sold me on this trap was the below review and click on the photo.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RJJA38U...re=lawn-garden

Now it's not the Fox squirrels I'm after but the dam Gray squirrels which are indeed "bushy-tailed rats"! They've even driven the Fox squirrels out of the woods/park where I live.

Unread 08-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

some years ago there was a blinding flash that I could see coming through the kitchen windows in broad daylight, then the power went out. Turns out the whole local block was out. A squirrel had jumped onto a pole transformer a half block away and shorted it. Amazingly it was still ALIVE, pretty bad shape but still kickin.

Those guys are tough.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
some years ago there was a blinding flash that I could see coming through the kitchen windows in broad daylight, then the power went out. Turns out the whole local block was out. A squirrel had jumped onto a pole transformer a half block away and shorted it. Amazingly it was still ALIVE, pretty bad shape but still kickin.

Those guys are tough.
I was working at McGregor Range and one of these odd critters got into the main transformer. Took the entire facility down. Died, but we did scavenge the tail. In the possum family and is sorta like a catdog. Oh, uniblurb get rid of the hood insulation. I just threw a pretty nice one away after my hood vent mod. Too bad I couldn't ship the fragile pos.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
I was working at McGregor Range and one of these odd critters got into the main transformer. Took the entire facility down. Died, but we did scavenge the tail. In the possum family and is sorta like a catdog. Oh, uniblurb get rid of the hood insulation. I just threw a pretty nice one away after my hood vent mod. Too bad I couldn't ship the fragile pos.
Intersting HighLonesome and that animal is a Ringtail. Figures you'd have them out there around the desert.

http://www.desertmuseum.org/kids/oz/...s/Ringtail.php

My paint is still in pretty good shape on my 96 and figured with no underhood insulation it may start pealing some? But if you aren't running any at all in your heat out there may not help. I also thought maybe it would help the engine stay warmer in the cold winter months here. But I'm sure it would melt the snow/ice off the hood quicker w/o it!

PS. jay-h, in my old neighborhood we also had all the power blow out from a squirrel on a power line. But I saw the squirrel laying in the alley and looked like somebody had just thrown him on a gas grill! Lol.

Unread 08-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Maybe it's not related to the possum. Says racoon on that site.

Wish I could have found a good home the hood insulation! I wanted it gone quick tho. Not something you can leave laying around.
Unread 08-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Yeah, the opossum is the only marsupial (pouched mammal for young) in N. America so the Ringtail is in the same family as racoons. Wildlife mgt background...

I would have taken that hood insulation while paying for shipping but oh well that's how things go.

You may have seen me mention before where I've sprayed all that hood insulation down before with a strong capsaicin (ingredient in pepper spray) rodent repellent. The squirrels still ripped parts of it off taking it home to their tree dens. Hope their beady little eyes burnt all winter! Lol.

Unread 08-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
coralman
I hate squirrels

1998 ZJ 

The avatar says it all. I buy 20 pound bags of sunflower seeds. It my weekend tradition. The old stump in my backyard makes a perfect place for them to strike an upright pose while munching on a seed. I open my rear door just a slight bit, and let them have it with a hollow point pellet. Two or three vertical flips, a run of maybe 5 yrds, and its done. If I just walk into my backyard they bark like crazy. Good.
Unread 08-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I've been meaning to mention coralman your avatar photo is great! My exact feeling too and only wish I could shoot here living on the park!

When I drive up in one of our Jeeps I've even had the gray squirrels run out from under the other parked Jeeps. One in particular would always hang on the side of the tree while scolding me loudly. Hate that thing and have a feeling there's only a select few doing all the damage.

Maybe I should just leave my coolant reservoir cap off and tape a straw down in there?

Unread 08-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #11
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
have a feeling there's only a select few doing all the damage.
One bad egg spoils the bunch
Unread 08-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #12
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

They sound like real rat-mustards. Here's an interesting story about the little devils, and their dirty work on power lines, etc. Just last week, Long Beach, CA. had a big outage that was reportedly caused by a squirrel.

Quote:
Still, no one seems to dispute the disruptive primacy of squirrels.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/op...rel-power.html

Bummer about your battles, Uni. Good luck with them.
MrRoundel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #13
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
One bad egg spoils the bunch
No kidding!

And I think that "one bad egg" is the one that took a big bite out of my front caliper hose on my XJ! About kilt me when the brakes went out trying to stop in heavy traffic and the line blew! Luckily was able to stop/limp home using the ebrake and 5-speed for downshifting when stopping.

Unread 08-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #14
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Since your fat cat is a fail, get a Terrier. Mine has hiding places in the yard where he lays in wait for the ambush. Bad thing is he brings them in the house through the dog door to show us his crowning achievement, then tries to defend his catch. "look at me, i got this sob and you aint gittin him!"
jackclip-488x614-.jpg

ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #15
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Lol! You're exactly right Zee and a buddy of mine has a Jack Russel Terrier. There's hardly any live rodents/squirrels around his house or cabin and that dog is smart as a whip!

Guy has pallets around his cabin to walk on and sometimes a chipmunk will hide under one. Dog jumps on one side of the pallet with front feet then darts around the other side while nailing it so fast!

Alright nice photo of your dog! Looks like he could be real quick!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.