Technical Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Technical Question

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-17-2002, 11:29 AM   #1
CSinnett

Technical Question

Hi All,

I'm hoping one of you Jeep vets out there can help shed some light on a topic for me.

I have a 95 Grd Cherokee w/ the inline 6 cylinder. It idles rough, and has stalled in the past. The local dealership says its the Idle Air Control that's gone bad and is causing the problem.

When I run the self-diagnostic on the Jeep, I get codes 12 and 17.

I belive code 12 is:
"Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50-100 key-on cycles. "

and code 17 to be:

"Engine did not reach operating temperature within acceptable limits. Engine does not reach 20º F. within 5 minutes with a vehicle speed signal."

Can anyone out there shed some light on what these two codes mean - and more importantly, what is required to fix them myself (if possible).

I can't tell if these codes are related to the IAC like the dealer says. What would be causing code 12 and 17?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping that I can do this work myself in the coming weeks.

Best Regards,

~ Charlie

CSinnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 05:38 PM   #2
gcl97

This is what I have found:

Code Diagnostic item
------ -------------------
17 Engine is cold too long

Check items: Engine coolant temperature sensor circuit
and connector / Engine coolant temperature sensor /
Thermostat

17 Closed loop temperature not reached (M/T)

Check items: Engine coolant temperature sensor circuit
and connector / Engine coolant sensor / Thermostat

good luck.
gcl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 06:57 AM   #3
CSinnett

this is exactly what I was looking for - thank you very much for this.

I replaced the IAC valve last night and that seemed to rememdy the rough idle - but I haven't checked to see if it shows a different diagnostic code yet.

The car is getting up in miles though, and I'd like to be pro-active in replacing parts. Hopefully, the engine thermostat and coolant sensor related to code 17 isn't too difficult.

Thanks again - I do appreciate it.

~cs
CSinnett is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.