TC leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > TC leaking

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
jeepunlimited

TC leaking

hey guys, well today was the first time in 2 1/2 years my 4x4 was used, i looked after and there was fluid on the ground and guess what , GEAR OIL!!!...ugghhh had that weird smell you know what im talking about!! i looked underneath and there wasnt any noticeable leaks at the diff, but the end of my transfer case where the driveshaft starts, was wet, the ground was soaked soo i couldnt get down under it and check if it was snow melting from the undercarriage or the leak. it was coming from the middle of the truck some place sooo either the diff or the TC , if its the output seal of the 242 transfer case, is that hard to change ?

i put plastic under it to let it sit overnight and check for leaks , seemed to stop though when it was in 2WD

also on the 242 where is the check plug and, is it on the engine side or the gas tank side of the transfer cae ??

any help would be great ??
anyone know what it is that possibley caused the leak ? i didnt beat on it, i babied it in 4WH in the snow. this is the first time i have seen this leak and im just curious what could have caused it,

any help at all guys would be great
its a 1993 grand cherokee limited with the 4.0L and the 242

thanx guys

jeepunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
jeepunlimited

can anybody help me
Unread 01-28-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Transfer case should have red fluid in it, not gear oil.

What kind of fluid do you see leaking?

Your probably talking about the extension housing seal on the transfer case, leaks from there will run down the rear drive shaft.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
jeepunlimited

hmmmmmmmmmmm .....well its not my transfer case then, but it was almost the color of engine oil, a bit darker, and it reaked of gear oil!!!!!..i dont know what was going on with it but its the first time the 4x4 has been used in a long time ( maybe 2 years) and im wondering if it mesed something up!! ? the fluid is definitley gear oil and i can tell by the smell, SAME smell as what i smelt when checking the rear diff fluid, now its coming from the middle of the truck but the seal on the front diff cover seems to be ok, is it possibley i wrecked a seal in teh front diff by useing the 4x4 in this snowstorm ?? maybe where the driveshaft goes into the front diff ??? ?

it was the color of engine oil, a bit darker and it reaked of gear oil, front of the truck , in the middle area ?? what am i looking at , cracked cover gasket or more likely a bad seal at the yoke for the front diff where the driveshaft goes ? now i wish i didnt use the 4x4

but on a pklus side with the working 4 wheel drive the jeep is AMAZING in the snow
any ideas ?
Unread 01-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
jeepunlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Joe-
Transfer case should have red fluid in it, not gear oil.

What kind of fluid do you see leaking?

Your probably talking about the extension housing seal on the transfer case, leaks from there will run down the rear drive shaft.
i dont think my transfer case is leaking cause its not dripping or even making the driveshaft wet, just looks moist around that area, you cant even set a color to it ....i do wanna check the fluid to make sure its ok though , where is the check hole for the 242 located and what size/type of tool do i need, sorry im a newbie just trying to keep my jeep happy
Unread 01-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

If you take pics of where it is leaking from it would be helpful.
Unread 01-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
jeepunlimited

thats honeslty the problem , i cant pinpoint where its leaking, i guess its not the TC or any part of it cause it doesnt drip gear oil, soo i guess its my front diff, ill take a look in the morning and see if i see anythign
Unread 01-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #8
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

If its been 2 1/2 years since you used 4wd and you dont know where the drain/fill plug is, how long has it been since the fluid was changed?

Mabye someone put gear oil in it instead of atf or dexron..

Drain/fill plugs are on the rear of the transfer case

You can see them on this pic: (Although its a 231, same place)

Wipe it all down and see where it leaks from..

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2007, 09:59 PM   #9
jeepunlimited

see thats what mine looks like on the back except mine are more in line with each other, 1 is higher but then the other one is like directly below it , thats not the point, point is, i dont have a 1 3/16 wrench to take it off.....guess i should go to the store eh
Unread 01-28-2007, 10:04 PM   #10
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

It is possible that someone put in gear oil. Not the end of the world if they did.

You can use channel locks to get the drain/fill plug off. Agreed that a socket would be best. A smart practice is to take the top plug (fill plug) off first. Make sure that one comes off first before you drain the case

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2007, 08:12 AM   #11
jeepunlimited

well guys i checked and its defniitley not leaking, only thing on the plastic sheet was some oil from my leaking rear main, but i can deal with putting in a quart every 2 months lol......ill keep a eye on it though

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.