Taurus Fan Install With DC Control FK35 Fan Controller - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Taurus Fan Install With DC Control FK35 Fan Controller

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Taurus Fan Install With DC Control FK35 Fan Controller

At last, here's the install procedure for installing a Taurus fan in a 5.2l ZJ.

The fan you're looking for is a Ford 8C607 from a 90-95 Ford Taurus or Lincoln Mark VIII with the 3.8l engine. You can spot the fan by looking for a 3 wire setup.

First thing you need to do is remove the stock mechanical clutch fan. Some ZJ owners are lucky enough to have a bolt-on water pump pulley, so you can use a pulley holder from Napa. Others aren't so lucky. You can either hold the pulley with a pair of Vise Grips, or you can get a hold of a Snap-On Chrysler pulley holder - http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....&group_ID=1503

A large wrench is needed to get a hold of the nut - 36mm, or a particularly large crescent wrench

Carefully use the Vise Grips so you don't mar the belt side of the pulley.

There are multiple ways to mount the fan - you can attach it to the stock shroud using nuts and bolts, or you can fabricate some mounting tabs. I chose the latter.

First, I stuck some foam-rubber insulation (the stuff I used is for dampening sound for pickup toppers, if I was to do it again, I would use something that only has adhesive on one side) - this is simply to protect the radiator from the Ford shroud.

2 6-8" pieces of steel strip will do the trick - drill holes in either side of the strip to fit the stock stud on the upper radiator support - don't lose the nut, as you'll be using it to mount the fan.

1 small hole in the Ford shroud, run the bolt in from the back - it's a good idea to either use a lock washer, double nut it, or both. I just chose to double nut the mount so it can't back out from vibration.

Now find a suitable place to mount the controller. The manufacturer says that it is fully sealed, but I opted to put it in a location that would be protected from the elements. In this case, I put it on the fenderwell next to the battery. This gives easy access to the main chassis ground, as well as the power distribution center.

The installation instructions are very clear and straightforward. Red and black to the battery, blue to the AC compressor, yellow to a switched source if you desire. I decided to let the fan run as long as it needs to in order to completely cool the engine.

I have the jumpers set up to kick the fan to 100% when the AC compressor cycles to improve internal cooling. Simply run the blue wire from the control box to the AC compressor and tap into the control wire.

The DC Control box can be found at http://www.dccontrol.com. Install instructions are here: http://www.dccontrol.com/fk35.htm

An addition to Mr. Baskin's instructions - if you install a jumper between pins 14 and 16, you can have the fan kick to 100% when the AC is on, while not having to run the fan at 15% when power is supplied.

Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
sandman
1993 ZJ 

wow, nice. thank you sir!!!!!
Unread 04-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
97zjlimited
1997 ZJ 

question??? bring back this old thread !! did that fan free up some hp?? in process of doing this too??
Unread 04-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I couldn't give you dyno numbers since I don't have access to one, so I don't think I can give you a good answer there. I wouldn't suspect a huge jump in hp. I think it cools better with the Taurus fan though.

The e-fan sure is much quieter. My temp probe went bad, so I have a new one on order - had to put my mechanical fan on for the time being, and it sounds like a jet engine.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.