Taurus E-Fan using a Volvo 2spd Relay - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Taurus E-Fan using a Volvo 2spd Relay

Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 05-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Taurus E-Fan using a Volvo 2spd Relay

Since I have received quite a few PM’s now asking about my set up, I thought I should post a how-to & hopefully help some fellow members interested in the swap. I do not take full credit for this mod, nor was I the one and only guy who has done this haha
It has been done before, but here is my version. Also need to note: please do not come to me if you attempt this mod and you burn your jeep to the ground somehow lol

Background:
I was having some cooling issues with my 98 5.2 v8 with 174 on the clock. Changed the thermostat, nothing. Tested the fan clutch, yep…was shot. Priced a new fan clutch and was ranging from 50-80 bucks. Now, Maybe I am stubborn, maybe I love to mod… But a simple bolt on was “too easy” and made too much sense to do haha

Went to the local Pick a-part and started piecing together parts for my E-Fan swap. Why the Taurus? Do your research, people love this fan. Kept my Toyota 3.0 (notorious for blowing head gaskets and running hot) kept it nice and cool with using low speed only. With the bigger v8, knew I was going to want both speeds and did not want to go with an “all in one plug and play Hayden kit again” the fan pulls some decent amperage and kept blowing the Hayden relay. After tons of research and a few trips to the junkyard I discovered that the Volvo 960 (and other mid 90’s Volvos used the same 2 speed relay controller and VERY similar fan) The Volvo fan unit actually unbolts from the surrounding shroud- if you wanted to build your own custom fit shroud.

Remove the Fan clutch and shroud:

I trimmed and mounted the Taurus fan & shroud inside the OEM Jeep shroud but had clearance issues. Went to pull it out and ended up cracking the very brittle old plastic. So…back to the drawing board. I looked through all my old parts and there it sat… my old fan shroud from my 2nd gen 4runner. Slimmer, same width, and only 2 inches shorter than the OEM jeep shroud (bottom 2" of radiator is not covered by the shroud) Mounted my mangled up Taurus fan that I once thought was not salvageable inside the Toyota shroud and made some Mounting Brackets out of flat steel. Fitment and clearance against the water pump pulley was great.
Wiring the Volvo relay is very easy.
First you will need a water temp sensor adapter (ebay-$10 bucks shipped) remember 36mm for the v8. The 32mm was way too small to use. You will also have to drill out and tap the adapter pipe to 14x1.5 thread to allow the BMW thermo switch to screw in. I chose to use some high temp silicone around the threads to prevent future leaks. Thinking back now, not sure if it was wise, but has held up great so far.(knocks on wood) I cut about 2 inches out of the upper radiator hose and placed the thermo adapter pipe there to pick up the temps.

The BMW thermo switch has 3 wires and is labeled inside the switch plastic housing. T1-will be used to trigger my high speed fan and kicks on the high @ 210F and shuts off the high at 200. T2 triggers the low speed and kicks on at 195F and shuts off at 185F. I have a 180 degree thermostat and this combo seems to be working good so far with our triple digit heat in Socal lately. May be overkill… may be right… depends on your opinion. The old girl has 174k miles and I want to keep it running cool. My pockets are not that deep to replace an engine haha The other wire is a ground, which naturally…I grounded.

The Volvo relay has 5 wires. From Left to right:
Power out to high speed, power out to low speed, high speed trigger wire(from bmw thermo switch), low speed trigger (again from bmw), input power/hot wire. I chose to run a 40a 5 prong relay between the battery power and the Volvo relay to ensure that the fan will only run with “keyed” ignition power. Key is on, all systems go. Key off… please don’t drain my battery lol

On the 40A relay:

Pin 30-inline fused wire directly to the positive battery terminal.

Pin 85- Ground

Pin 86- Ignition Power (I personally couldn’t find anything under the hood in the passenger side area, So I ran a wire from my engine bay to inside the foot well on a key/ignition powered wire I found

Pin 87- Out to the Volvo Relay (Marked 30/single red far right wire on the Volvo relay)

Pin 87A- snipped and taped- went to nothing.

This allows the Volvo relay to only be able to send power out to the fan when the key is on. So far this has worked for me. Get up to operating temp, fan kicks on….turn the engine off… fans power down.

The Taurus Fan itself has 3 wires. High/Low/Ground

What you will need and Price- (what I paid at the time)

Taurus Electric fan (can be pulled from any Taurus that has the 3.8 engine) $23

5 pin 40a relay: $4 (ebay)

36MM water temp sensor adapter from ebay-$10 shipped (need to drill out the hole and tap it to a

14x1.5 pitch to allow the BMW switch to be screwed in)

Volvo 2 speed fan relay control- $10 (junkyard)

BMW Thermo Switch part # 61311378073 (found it on ebay for $22 shipped) ( will also need the plug/harness for it. Look at the radiator, should find the thermoswitch and harness there) I chose to buy a new thermo switch, but snagged the harness from the donor vehicle.

1990-1995 toyota 4runner 3.0 v6 fan shroud- free…but assuming $5-10 bucks at the yard

Other Items I had to purchase because I did not have laying around:

15 ft of 12ga wire, 14x1.5 tap for threading the thermo switch

I have really enjoyed the Electric fan so far and to me, was “cooler” than just replacing a mechanical fan clutch. Being that I drive a jeep, repairs and mods will never be done. While doing this mod, I noticed my radiator was in terrible shape so I also replaced the radiator while I was in there. Few days later, my water pump started Leaking. Love my Jeep, Happy Modding people.
Please feel free to PM me or ask here for any questions or advice.
Definitely need to post these links (really hope I am not breaking the rules, posting other forum links) but credit is given where is due. (mods please edit if this is unacceptable)
*Best Part- no random switches on your dash or additional chores to make sure your jeep is running cool. All automatic.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200028
http://www.rx7club.com/2nd-generatio...ed-fan-839089/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/v...-swap-1373350/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36MM-1-42-Wa...a83a61&vxp=mtr
https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/prt,107,61311378073

ef.jpg   new-image.jpg   e-fan.jpg   1.jpg   5.jpg  

4.jpg   eff.jpg   3.jpg   2.jpg   vicd.jpg  

OldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Good writeup! How well did the 4runner shroud fit the stock rad?
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
Good writeup! How well did the 4runner shroud fit the stock rad?
Thanks
Fit pretty good.Its a lot slimmer than the OEM jeep shroud but the bottom/lower portion is about 2" too short. Had to make mounting brackets to mount it to the radiator. I used it because I effed up my taurus and OEM Jeep shroud and had the runner shroud laying in the shed
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

I would guess that this would work equally as well as a Niner e-fan, too?
I got a new, in the box one for $40 and this sounds like a much easier(and cheaper) task than gathering all the correct Niner parts.

BTW, do you know which wires are which on the Niner fan?
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
I would guess that this would work equally as well as a Niner e-fan, too?
I got a new, in the box one for $40 and this sounds like a much easier(and cheaper) task than gathering all the correct Niner parts.

BTW, do you know which wires are which on the Niner fan?
sorry
Not sure about the Niner fan wiring. My "guess" would be to find out which wires on the niner fan are the two hots(high/low) and which is the negative. Could work I suppose.
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Alright, after a lot of searching here and elsewhere online, what's the color code for the e-fan? Which wire is high/low/ground? I figure you'd be a good guy to ask.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.