Tale of two Propshafts/Are all propshafts equal? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-07-2015, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
fluffy2560
1997 ZJ 

Tale of two Propshafts/Are all propshafts equal?

Perhaps some Jeep gurus can help me with these two propshafts.

1997, JGC, ZJ, 4.0L

My front propshaft seems to have gone US (unservicable) so I've bought another one from the breakers yard sight unseen.

The two propshafts are pretty much the same and as expected except my original one has a "slip shaft" just south of the CV joint. Don't actually know the name of this "slip shaft".

This slip part seems to be totally seized on my original (and has probably been rusted up for years - seems immovable). I've checked the part numbers and the solid version seems to applicable to my vehicle and seems to be a refurbished part. However, I am wondering if I should try and refurb the old one to keep the slip shaft in there or just put in the breakers yard version as it is. They seem to be exactly the same other than the splined shaft. The CV joint obviously moves up and down freely on both versions so is it enough to rely on that rather than the movement on the other part of the shaft?

Any issues with putting in the breakers yard version without the "slip shaft"?

Part numbers showing: breakers version: 52098867 and original: 52099260

Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails
smaller DSCN3992.jpg   smaller DSCN3986.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-07-2015, 07:43 AM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

That joint is not a slip joint. It's there to adjust the length of the driveshaft. The 'slip' is taken care of by the CV joint.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-07-2015, 08:19 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yup, that adjustment is supposed to be set at the factory and not user serviceable. All the extension is in the rzeppa joint itself.

1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 33's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ 5.9 - Junked
1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-07-2015, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
fluffy2560
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
That joint is not a slip joint. It's there to adjust the length of the driveshaft. The 'slip' is taken care of by the CV joint.
Thanks. So do you think I don't need to worry about this slip joint?

I believe on other shafts from other other jeeps this was greaseable but on mine it seems to be missing or didn't exist.

Do you know why they had this length adjustment? Different models?

I am wondering if the breakers version has longer travel on the CV joint splines.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-07-2015, 08:27 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

On u-joint shafts there has to be a slip joint as a u-joint doesn't have any extension.

It's hard to tell why they moved to the splines and collar adjustment at the factory, maybe for initial alignment tolerance? Probably not. Best guess would be since they started using the rzeppa CV more in the late model 4.0's they were probably getting the rzeppa joint with the splines as a unit and then assembling that into the driveshaft.

1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 33's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ 5.9 - Junked
1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-07-2015, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
fluffy2560
1997 ZJ 

Ok so that just about nails it then. Breakers item plug straight in and keep the other one for refurb if it comes to it sometime.

I can easily get the parts here in Europe except for the double cardan flange which is hard to source. Not sure if I should just try and get some grease in there on the flange part. No nipples (the joint, not me).

Thanks!
post #7 of 8 Old 12-07-2015, 10:01 AM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

You're welcome

The DC joint can be rebuilt if the centering stud isn't destroyed.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...w-pics-480311/
post #8 of 8 Old 12-07-2015, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
fluffy2560
1997 ZJ 

Yes, great write up there. I can easily do that.

Like the poster in that thread in Turkey, we can get the U-joints and even the CV joints over here but the centering yoke is very difficult.

One can get the flange but not the sleeve that goes with it. It'll have to be just cleaned up and greased.

I will have to do the same as the Turkish guy and get those parts sent from the USA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.