Takes a long time to crank before it starts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Takes a long time to crank before it starts

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
jeepman1919

Takes a long time to crank before it starts

I have a 1995 4.0 auto that has had a complete tune up plugs cap rotor wires distributer filters. It takes about 20 seconds of cranking before it starts. It got to be fuel related . It losses fuel pressure in the lines after 10 minutes of not running. I replaced the pump no change.

jeepman1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
jbreck
1997 ZJ 

I'm pretty sure its an o ring in your fuel pressure regulator. You can just turn your key over a few times before you start or buy the whole assembly its not cheap. Or you could do the swampy bypass conversion. Hope this helps.
jbreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Mopargearhead
1997 ZJ 

Did you replace the pump with a new one or a remanufactured one? I've seen some techs go through a few remans before they got a good one that actually worked. You could have a fuel injector sticking open, but that should also cause a misfire. Have you checked your fuel lines for an actual fuel leak? It's not common. but it could happen.
Mopargearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Check your battery connections and make sure they are not corroded. My buddy has battery terminals that are soooo bad I have to clean them once a month for him. It will start wicked for 2 weeks then go downhill until I clean them again.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
jeepman1919

thanks guys Ill check the battery connections. the fuel pump was a new one. No fuel leaks I already checked that. whats a swamppy bypass?
jeepman1919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.