Tail lights INOP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tail lights INOP

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
armed247
2001 WJ 

Tail lights INOP

I noticed somone following me home the other night so I took a couple laps around the neighborhood to confirm it, and sure enough he was... so I pull over in a well lit area, step out and move to the front of jeep. I expected something bad, and it happened... guy tells me, I have no taillights or brake lights! I tell him thank you and he leaves.

Relieved and pissed at the same time I went back to my house and further inspected the situation and come to find out that when the headlights and parking lights are OFF everything is great and operational, but when the lights are ON, everything in the back is INOP to include turn signals.

Any help would be great... i've looked at the fuse diagrams but am unsure which it is(I am noob w/ jeeps, be gentle) but from what little i've found on here it seems like its probably worse.

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

I would start by checking fuses F6 and F23. I have blown F6 twice before but due to towing a trailer that had a bad ground. I lost all tail lights. I am pretty sure that is the one it was too.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
armed247
2001 WJ 

I checked on both of those fuses and they haven't popped... can anyone dumb down the "Bad Socket" issue i've tried to understand throughout the search feature?
Unread 04-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
armed247
2001 WJ 

Anyone? Should I just order some new tail lights?
Unread 06-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
NYjeepster24
2000 XJ Cherokee 

try this, I found this in my search for similar issue, mine was headlights on, no brake lights! I'm gonna try this tomorrow:I'm just posting this bc I asked some time ago and nobody knew what the issue was. I found this so this is not my work. I thought my light didn't work when I turned on the car but it was really just when my lights were on(of course the worst time). Found this on another forum and saved a good deal of money. This may have already been posted but just wanted to make sure. Seems to be a very common issue.

Jeff | Jan 27, 2007 | Reply
First, I want to say thank you for the info, you saved me money and aggravation. Second it took mea little while to figure out what contact I was looking for. So I would like to provide a little more detail to make it easier for others in the future.
This is the corrective method for your brake lights not working when your headlights are on(2000 Jeep Cherokee Larado).
1) The cause of the problem is heat from the bulb.
2) Remove the light assembly as if you were going to change a bulb.
3) Turn the socket and remove it from the taillight assembly and set it aside(check to be sure your bulb is not burnt out).
4) Look at the opening, you will see 3 flat chrome colored contacts on the assembly.
5) Notice the one by it self at the top of the opening, that is the “ground”.
6) If you look closely you will notice the plastic around the ground contact has shrunk a little bit, this caused the contact to pull away from the socket, causing the problem.
7) With a small flat head screwdriver, VERY GENTLY pry up the contact so it stays slightly upward by itself.
8) Re-insert the bulb assembly back into the housing and press your brake petal with your lights on.
9) You should be in good to go!
10) Tools: Phillips head screwdriver and a small flat head screwdriver.
11) Time : 5 minutes per light
NYjeepster24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.