Tail light works but brake light goes out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tail light works but brake light goes out

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
rclark

Tail light works but brake light goes out

I have a 2000 WJ and the driver's brake light is puzzling me. The tail light works fine but when the brake pedal is pressed the light goes out instead of getting brighter. I've changed the bulb twice (#3157) and no luck. What the heck is going on here?

Unread 02-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
g-off70
2000 WJ 

this happened to me too. took it to my mechanic and he had to redo some wiring to get it to work right. i think it had something to do with the trailer wiring harness we had installed
g-off70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
rclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-off70 View Post
this happened to me too. took it to my mechanic and he had to redo some wiring to get it to work right. i think it had something to do with the trailer wiring harness we had installed
Ugh I was afraid this might be an electrical issue. No trailer hitch on mine though.
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
jeveret3
2002 WJ 

this happened to me also. i think i finally got it working by taking a wire brush to all the tail light connections and cleaning everything up good. seems like i remember something had rusted pretty bad. hope this helps!
jeveret3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
staggwj
1999 WJ 

I had the same problem and it seems like the bulb wont stay in a certain position, if you can have another person hold the brake pedal down wiggle the bulb and twist it to see if it turns on...if it does just grab yourself some duct tape and make sure it holds.
good luck!
Stock for now
staggwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
kwb18
2011 WK 

Here's what I did. I removed the brake housing and then the bulb. You will see three metal plates where the bulb connects to the housing. That housing that holds the bulb is plastic and it tends to fail. Mine got pushed down just enough to make a bad connection. Here's the good news for a fix...

Get a little flat head screw driver and gentley pry up on the metal plates. Get a small piece of folded paper and tuck it under the metals plates you just pryed up. That will make the metal plates stick up enough for a good connection to the bulb. I have had to do this twice and it's fixed. One time I actually needed a new housing causing the plastic that held the buld was cracked and there was no way to fix it.

Try that and see what happens.
kwb18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
rclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb18 View Post
Here's what I did. I removed the brake housing and then the bulb. You will see three metal plates where the bulb connects to the housing. That housing that holds the bulb is plastic and it tends to fail. Mine got pushed down just enough to make a bad connection. Here's the good news for a fix...

Get a little flat head screw driver and gentley pry up on the metal plates. Get a small piece of folded paper and tuck it under the metals plates you just pryed up. That will make the metal plates stick up enough for a good connection to the bulb. I have had to do this twice and it's fixed. One time I actually needed a new housing causing the plastic that held the buld was cracked and there was no way to fix it.

Nice will give that a shot this weekend and will report back. Thanks for the help
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
straty1987

Quote:

this will work and its a common problem with the driver side one.
just make sure you put the socket in the right way or it will jam in their and be hard to remove
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
SilverBullit22
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've actually been having the same problem on my '00 TJ. What really sucks is that the mounting bolts within the housing are rusted really bad and I have had trouble getting them off. My sockets won't fit over the bolts (and I am using the right size ) and all other attempts with vice grips, pliers, etc. have been useless. Any suggestions here??? I'm pretty sure it is a connection problem for me too because I can feel some play in the wires coming from the relay inside the tub that attaches to the back of the bulb housing. Hopefully I can get this fixed up soon so I don't have to buy a whole new brake light assembly...
Silver Jeep Club Member #59
SilverBullit22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
marskings

Quote:

Thank you kwb18. I did exactly what suggested, prying and tucking paper in one step, and it worked the first time. Thanks a million.
marskings is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.