Tail Light Issues...... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tail Light Issues......

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-21-2005, 06:09 PM   #1
Phathead

Tail Light Issues......

Hello everyone I am a total Jeep newbie....but I just bought a 1998 5.9 Limited with 66,000 miles and I absolutely love it......Here is my issue...

The other day I am driving to work and the Vehicle Information Center Display says "Rear Lamp Failure"....Like I said this is my first vehicle with all these cool bells and whistles....so I change the rear bulbs for my taillights....pretty easy...I check everything out....all lights appear to be working....but the Display still reads "Rear Lamp Failure". I check the owners manual, and it says that once the bulbs are replaced the system should automatically reset on the next startup.....this is obviously not happening....

Anyone have any experience with this.....?? Is there some sort of reset that I don't know about??? Any help is greatly appreciated...this is just a tad bit annoying....

Thanks in advance...

Phathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
jeepholic

I am guessing you have the wrong bulb some where, make sure that all bulbs including the third barke light have the right bulb as stated in the manual I never had.

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

If all checks out fine, then disconnect the battery.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #4
CaliforniaJeep

I had that problem and it turned out that 1 bulb in the third brake light was out. Have someone press the brakes for you to see if one is out

-Johnny-
Unread 03-21-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
haus409

Yep, mine was the same way. I drove my ZJ for a year and a half looking at that "Rear Lamp Failure" when I knew darned good and well all my lights were working. Then one day I find this site called Jeepforum.com, find the info, check my bulbs and find that one of my brake lights was wrong. Annoyance solved for $1.50 and 5 minutes work!
haus409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2005, 04:46 AM   #6
Phathead

Thanks for all the suggestions.....I'll go back through and check it out.....Thanks again...
Phathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2005, 02:33 PM   #7
kayla

Quick suggestion :
My 5.9 did the same thing, all lights were working.....open the liftgate and *****slap the 3rd brake light. It's been 4 months and it hasn't happened again. Seriously.
Rich-
kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #8
Mustang

Did you check the lights around the licenses plate on the back of the car this same thing happened to me. I replaced the small light and now every thing fine.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.