Tachometer and batter gauge not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tachometer and batter gauge not working

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
mykola

Tachometer and batter gauge not working

Hi,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I have a 1994 jeep grand cherokee, automatic, 4 by 4 with 220 xxx km. the vehicle has abs, power windows and doors and part time and full time 4 wheel drive with 4 full time low. However, I have used the vast knowledge base to help me with my jeep constantly. Yet, In My searches I have not found this answer specifically . I have recently taken out the gauge cluster to replace some bulbs ( which I haven't gotten to yet) and as I was removing the cluster a pop and a small amount f smoke produced. As i was doing the job in parts I drove it with my dash open and noticed that my tach and battery gauge were flat lined. So I looked online and checked the fuses all good. I tied pushing in the odometer reset button and putting the vehicle into the on position ( I read that can reset it possibly) and have removed the gauge cluster to see if I can see anything bad. The wiring harness seems good, as well as the back of gauge cluster on the printed circuit. I found nothing wrong so far. So I was wonder if anyone has run into this problem and if changing the cluster is my best option or what? Please and thank you in advance and I apologize for anything ignorant I wrote or left out. Any help would be great full

mykola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykola View Post
as I was removing the cluster a pop and a small amount f smoke produced.
Sounds like you let the magic smoke out.

You can use your sniffer to tell if it came out of the panel. If it smells burnt, you need a replacement.

Before you install the replacement, disconnect battery.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.