tach going crazy and stalling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tach going crazy and stalling

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
zjmikeyp

tach going crazy and stalling

Hi all let me start by introducing myself my names mike and Im from cenral nj . Ive used this site and other jeep sites before for trouble shooting. However this time my mind is boggled.*I have a 95 zj 5.2l 318. Occasionally she stalls out the weird thing is the tach will go nuts and after it bounces all over the truck will stall out. If I give it gas sometimes it will start back up. Other times it just dies out and wont start back up unless I put it in neutral and rev the motor. Another thing is sometimes it will throw a code and other times it will have none at all.Ive replaced the cam sensor and the*crank*sensor. Gave it a full tune up. Cleaned all the electrical connections and even removed the pcm cleaned it and re installed it.I traced back a chafed wire to the pcm and found it exposed so I clipped it and reconnected it. This wire is for the*cranksensor. Also I found one of the injector connectors under the*heater*core*hose was chafed as well. I used electrical tape to repair it . No matter what I do I can not solve this problem. Do you guys think it is the pcm? Or can it be some kind of short out which is shutting the truck down ? Also the two positive cables which lead from the fuse box under the hood and the altinator are now touching since I replaced the*battery*terminal.Thanks in advance for the help, mike.

zjmikeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

IAC or TPS. Could be the pcm. Try wiggling the wire harness while its running.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
zjmikeyp

Thanks for the quick reply. When I wiggle the harness sometimes it shuts down other times its fine . Also the rpks are bouncing like crazy. Sometimes they will bounce from 2k rpms to 3500 up too 5000 then it will stall. When I crank it back up it smells like ether sometimes. Im at a loss right now. Im going to try the tps and also order a new pcm at this point . I cleaned the iac a few months ago as well. When it stalls its almost like flipping a light switch. The jeep runs then stalls then starts back up by itself then stalls again and does this about 3 or 4 times then shuts down completely
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Which codes?
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
zjmikeyp

I cant pull the codes because the tach goes nuts as soon as I put the key in the on position then the power keeps cutting in and out causing the cell to come on and off randomly
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
zjmikeyp

Just got lucky and got some codes 32 53 41 31. However now she wont start back up I think it may have a vacuum leak
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
zjmikeyp

Started to wiggle some wires and when I wiggle the onesnon the connector to the pcm it shuts down and goes all crazy any ideas
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjmikeyp View Post
Started to wiggle some wires and when I wiggle the onesnon the connector to the pcm it shuts down and goes all crazy any ideas
unplug all the pcm connections, blow some air through it all, clean it all out. The plug em back in and zip tie em to the pcm.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
zjmikeyp

Thanks I actually just did that . And when itook the plug off I noticed it wasnt bolted tight. I cleaned it all out and wrote down the part numbers just incase. Started it back up and it ran for about 20 min without shutting down . Turned it off and hoping my problem is solved. I want to do some more mods but it needs to be mechanically stable first. Chrome dont get you home lol
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjmikeyp View Post
Just got lucky and got some codes 32 53 41 31. However now she wont start back up I think it may have a vacuum leak
32 (1990-92) computer didn't see change in air/'fuel ratio when EGR activated - check valve, vacuum lines, and EGR electrical
53 Logic module internal problem
41 Alternator field control circuit open or shorted
31 Bad evaporator purge solenoid circuit or driver

sounds like a bad PCM to me

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
zjmikeyp

Any ideas where I can get a new one? I called some yards around my way but no one has one for my jeep. Also I found a few diff numbers on the pcm which would be my part number? Thanks again. Its def the pcm it started stalling out again with same symptoms
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
zjmikeyp

Any ideas where I can get a new one? I called some yards around my way but no one has one for my jeep. Also I found a few diff numbers on the pcm which would be my part number? Thanks again. Its def the pcm it started stalling out again with same symptoms

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.