T-Case Linkage Popped Out, Any Tips? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > T-Case Linkage Popped Out, Any Tips?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 08-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
SkullV

T-Case Linkage Popped Out, Any Tips?

Hey everyone,

Just bought a ZJ with a 3.5" IRO lift and a bunch of other IRO goodies already installed on it. I previously had a TJ which was all custom down to the custom stretched Matkins Extreme frame, the 7" suspension stretch, and the 11" suspension lift.

This ZJ T-case linkage has me stumped though. I could only engage 4wd Part time and nothing else so I went under and looked at the linkage. The Jeep has a 242 swap done with correct bezel and everything correct on the inside but it seems that the linkage has popped out of its bracket on the transmission side. There is a little green plug type deal that seems like it needs to be pushed back into the hole that it came from so everything can pivot properly. I suppose judging by this picture:

the piece that popped out is called the torque shaft bushing.

The problem is I cant get that little green plug to pop back in no matter what I do! Does anyone have any hints/tricks to get that thing back in there smoothly? Should I take the torque shaft bushing off the torque shaft and put it in THEN put the torque shaft into the bushing? Would this problem even cause me to not be able to get into 4WD full time/neutral/4WD low?

Thanks!

P.S. I did search first, and couldn't find a specific answer to this particular question. I have over 2000 posts on the CTS-V forum over on cadillacforums.come so I know how much you hate when people don't search first!

Last edited by SkullV; 08-16-2009 at 01:25 PM..
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
SkullV

Bueller? Anyone have any ideas?
Unread 08-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
SkullV

Come on guys I know someone has changed out that bushing before!
Unread 08-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
SkullV

Annnnnyone?
Unread 08-17-2009, 02:37 AM   #5
sandman
1993 ZJ 

those bushings are real hard. when i removed my t-case believe it or not the hardest part was removing the rod from the shifter plate. i would suggest using a pair of pliers or heating up the bushing.
Unread 08-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

I had to wedge a pry bar between the frame and the linkage to get enough force on that puppy... Try getting some leverage on it with a pry bar... it should go in enough where you could then get some channel lock pliers up in there and squeeze it in the rest of the way.

Yard

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

If that bushing popped out, you'll want to replace it.
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
Steve01WJ
2005 WK 

I took that off over the weekend. Took me a while to figure out how to get it back. I took my electricial pliers and put the cutters behind the plastic thing and used it to sort of pry off the plastic bushing. Then I took it and popped it into the hole on the transfer case. Then lined up the shaft with some help above and forced it in with a big ol flat head screwdriver against the transfer case till it popped in. That ended up working finally after 45 min of messing with it. Hope that helps if its still out.

05 WK 5.7 Limited QD2
Steve01WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Zwildm30
1998 ZJ 

Mine popped out once when I first got my GC. Was a pain in the butt to get it popped back in. Had to pry against the bracket and it finally went in.

http://www.proshooter.org/cgi/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi
Zwildm30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
!
There is a Mopar problem solving TSB for the linkage. Includes most of the parts in the diagram, including the bushing. Well worth it. Kolak can probably hook you up.
Unread 08-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
SkullV

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.nein View Post
If that bushing popped out, you'll want to replace it.
The bushing looks like it's in perfect shape. The guy I bought it from said he dropped the T-case to change a seal a month ago so maybe putting this back in was just an oversight? It honestly looks like the bushing is brand new!
Unread 08-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
The bushing looks like it's in perfect shape. The guy I bought it from said he dropped the T-case to change a seal a month ago so maybe putting this back in was just an oversight? It honestly looks like the bushing is brand new!
If it was an oversight that's cool. Mine popped out after I swapped TCs. I'd press it back in and it would always pop out again. But it looked beat up too. Replaced it eight years ago and has been good to go. Just sayin
Unread 08-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
SkullV

Greased the SH*t out of that bushing, popped it back in with a pry bar, readjusted the linkage and it works like a charm now! Thanks everyone!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.