T-Boned - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > T-Boned

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
carrasaurus
1996 ZJ 

T-Boned

I got t-boned recently and was considering getting rid of the jeep. But now I figure I'll keep it if I can find a way to fix the problem with the passenger doors overlapping.

I assume she hit me hard enough in the passenger front door that it appears to have bent the frame - when I open the door and look at the "step-well" I can see it is bent in. It seems that this bend pulled the hinge side of the front door slightly towards the rear so that the front door overlaps just slightly over the rear door. The bends and creases are where I forced the door open.

My inclination is to trim the front door so they no longer overlap. Grind - sand - primer - paint. A ghetto job to be sure, but I don't care.

I'm wondering if anyone else has suggestions. I don't want to spend any money on it. I received a small amount of cash from the insurance company that I'd like to spend on a 2" BB and 31's.

Thx.

photo-1.jpg   photo-3.jpg  
photo-.jpg

photo-b.jpg

photo-c.jpg

carrasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

post pics of the unibody frame underneath
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
carrasaurus
1996 ZJ 

There one pic where I'm pulling the plastic trim back. But the other pic gives a better idea of the bulge that's there. Thanks for the request. I hadn't looked at it from underneath yet.
image-2608850356.jpg

image-1156763185.jpg

Unread 08-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

That's not the frame, that's just the rocker panel. Definitely worth the repairs.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
carrasaurus
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the post Jason. The question is, how do I fix it cheaply?
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Park by a tree, hook a come-along to the tree, and pull the dent
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadnick View Post
Park by a tree, hook a come-along to the tree, and pull the dent
I thought I was the only one who did redneck body repair that way! Works tho!! I'll even get fancy and drill holes then use an eye bolt and big fender washers to spot pull! who needs a frame rack when you've got maple trees!
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #8
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

That isn't the frame, just the rocker panels... reminds me of what happened to my 5.9 i was out with friend smoking hookah.. im getting ready to leave and apparently some mother fracker backed into the passenger side of my 5.9 bent both doors exactly like yours look and put a not so big as yours but big fist sized dent into my rocker panel... and DROVE OFF obviously without leaving a note.. $1500 dmg quote from a body shop.. my front passenger door doesn't even open anymore from the outside handle unless you press the button really hard or push it like 10 times... It really pisses me off

I had a fist sized piece of the jerkoff's taillight still in my glove box.. I went back to the parking lot for 3 weeks every night to find a car with a broken taillight or one that matched.. sadly i didn't find the guy.. I had a metal baseball bat ready for his car too
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #9
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
I thought I was the only one who did redneck body repair that way! Works tho!! I'll even get fancy and drill holes then use an eye bolt and big fender washers to spot pull! who needs a frame rack when you've got maple trees!
It sure does work. I've had times where the come-along will start dragging the vehicle. Hooking the other side of the vehicle to my backhoe with the outriggers down stops that
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #10
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

That's nothing. I get more damage from an average trail ride.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

It looks like its pretty covered up from outside, I wouldn't even bother to be honest. Shave the door a bit like you posted and call it good.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
carrasaurus
1996 ZJ 

If I take a sledge hammer and bang on the bulge underneath, do you think it would straighten up enough to un-overlap the doors?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.