Synthetic oil - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Synthetic oil

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-27-2003, 09:57 PM   #16
Mr.momjgc

Does any body have an opinion on the synthetic blend oil. I just at 77k put the castrol syntec blend in, hoping to see maybe a little improvement in gas mileage. Might be wishful oh-well.

Mr.momjgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2003, 09:57 AM   #17
SBrudzinsky

I switched to Mobil1 SuperSyn 10W-30 since I had 800 miles on my Jeep. Change interval depends on driving condition during the period of time between changes. My favorite oil filters are Mobil1, K&N Performance Gold, and Purolator PureOne.
Unread 02-02-2003, 09:03 PM   #18
Intrepidjeep

This "leak" issue is listed on Mobil's website as a myth.

"Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ was tested in dozens of industry standard and OEM tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made.

"ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks. More to the point, an oil additive will not rejuvenate worn or damaged seals. The damaged seal may have been caused by a worn rotating metal component in the engine.

"If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. ExxonMobil also always recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use."
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2003, 09:53 AM   #19
Razman

I switched to synthetic on my '94 ZJ over a year now. It had 115k then and still does not have any leaks. The oil gets changed ever 4500 or sooner and I think the synthetic is great for older high mileage cars/truck.

Had great success with NON-Dino oil.

Razman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2003, 05:19 PM   #20
kbohip

I wouldn't spend the money for synthetic oil for that motor. The only time I'd run synthetic is in turbocharged or supercharged motors. It really is only better in very high heat or very cold applications.
kbohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2003, 07:52 PM   #21
Intrepidjeep

It's better for any engine, but I would offset the cost with a little longer oil-change interval than changing at 3000 or whatever.

Synthetic maintains a film far longer when the engine's off, so you don't have dry starts, and the film strength is higher for less likelihood of metal-on-metal contact.

Synthetic can handle much higher heat, and the upper cylinder temperatures sure get above what conventional oils can handle.

Synthetic oil doesn't bead up on a hot metal surface (like rings and cylinder walls) like conventional oils will -- it maintains a coating film.

Since its molecules are far more consistent throughout the solution, there's far less burnoff of smaller molecules, and less self-contamination left behind as a result.

It's better at suspending particles in the oil than conventional oils.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure if I look it up there're more reasons for why it's a good idea to use even 'normal' applications.
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2003, 12:25 AM   #22
kbohip

Intrepidjeep, I was merely stating that synthetic oil for that motor is just not cost effective. If you add up the total money spent per quart for synthetic versus regular oil over the life of the engine, you might be surprised at the end result. For instance, let's assume that you will be keeping the vehicle for 300,000 miles and changing the oil every 3,000 miles. That would be a major feat for a Jeep vehicle, but bear with me. A regular quart of Mobil oil goes for around $1.30 at my local auto parts store, whereas a quart of synthetic Mobil 1 goes for $4.99 per quart. We'll also assume you'll be buying 7 quarts of oil for each oil change. I'm guessing for that amount as I've never had a 6 cylinder Jeep. For the duration of 300,000 miles you'll change the oil 100 times, whew! In the end you'll have spent approximately $910.00 (excluding oil filters) on Dino oil. The synthetic will cost $3,493.00 (once again excluding oil filters). The Dino oil is $2,583.00 cheaper than synthetic over the course of 300,000 miles.

At 300,000 miles, the engine on the Jeep will be dead. Synthetic or not. The $2,583.00 can go towards a new engine, or a new Jeep! I realize that no one would actually put the $25.83 into a savings account every oil change, but I think you might see where I'm coming from.

I'm not trying to shoot down everything you said about the benefits of synthetic oil either. Synthetic oil IS a superior lubricant to Dino oil for ALL engines. I just wouldn't put it into an engine that doesn't cost a lot of money to replace, such as the 4 liter inline 6. I agree with most all of what you said, except for lengthening the oil change intervals. The oil (synthetic or not) will still get a build up of impurities in it over the course of it's life. Changing it at shorter intervals keeps the engine from getting a build up of sludge.
kbohip is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.