Synthetic oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Synthetic oil

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-20-2003, 12:23 AM   #1
rJEEP

Synthetic oil

Going for an oil change in a few days.....Should I go synthetic?

Unread 01-20-2003, 08:13 PM   #2
Camster

got for it. if ya hate to change the oil and willing to lay down some extra cash. it's worth it in the end. saves ya money.

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2003, 09:05 PM   #3
rJEEP

Is it a big procedure? I hear of people getting oil leaks after doing the switch...don't know if it holds true on Jeeps.
Unread 01-21-2003, 08:37 AM   #4
99 Laredo

I've always used synthetic in all my vehicles and never experienced an oil leak in any of them. So I think thats an old wives tale......It is a good idea to do a engine flush before you switch over to synthetic though....

99Laredo

BOOOOM!!!!! the tarp dissapeared and my mower looked like it had a lift kit[/quote]
99 Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2003, 10:47 AM   #5
Beachead19

Switched to synthetic myself after I bought my Jeep with 75k. Still planning on changing the oil every 3000-3500 miles. Haven't noticed any leaks in just under 3k miles.
Kolak Ignition
-----------------------------------------
Beachead19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2003, 12:07 PM   #6
rJEEP

notice any advantages?
Unread 01-21-2003, 01:28 PM   #7
99 Laredo

I found my jeep started easier with the synthetic oil, you CAN go longer on your oil change intervals too. A friend of mine went almost 10,000 km before his next change and the oil was just as clean as the day he put it in. Although I wouldn't go that far....

99Laredo

BOOOOM!!!!! the tarp dissapeared and my mower looked like it had a lift kit[/quote]
99 Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2003, 09:39 PM   #8
Stocker

FWIW, I have spent a fair amount of time at Miata.net, where they have a VERY active forum (more than 19,000 members and lots of discussion), and this topic has been kicked around quite a bit. There are strong opinions on both sides. Some general observations:

If you have an oil leak, it *may* be more noticable with synthetic.

If you tend to stretch out your oil changes a bit, use synthetic.

Synthetics are recommended for *extreme* conditions or very cold weather.

If you change oil regularly and often (say, every 3,000 miles or so), dino oil is probably just fine for you.

Some people believe their engines actually run more smoothly with synthetic. Maybe so.

If you don't mind the additional cost, give it a try; it can't hurt and you might like it. If you want, you can always go back to dino.

I may have missed a thing or two but there's the basics. As always, YMMV
Unread 01-22-2003, 06:09 AM   #9
Ryan2son

I use Mobil 1 5-30 full synthetic and am very happy with it. I live in Denver and use my Jeep in extreme conditions.

Here's the rule of thumb:

If you have low miles (in my case 40000 for a 1999) there is NO reason to flush the engine (assuming that the oil has been changed at prescribed intervals). The synthetic oil will "flush" and eventually clean the internal parts.

I plan on changing my oil at 5000 mile intervals with the synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter. I change my own oil and pay $40.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
4x4, 4.7 V8, Quadratrac II, Loaded

A Hail the Mighty Philadelphia Eagles!
Ryan2son is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2003, 05:55 PM   #10
Dembones
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I use Mobil1 higher-mileage formula. It will free up some horsepower and doesn't require you to flush the engine on higher-mileage Jeeps.
37" Claws/teralow/HPD44/Trussed HI9/5:38s/detroits/SOA, shackle reversal on rebuilt waggy and XJ springs.
Blue Jeep Club member 2
Much more info here
Dembones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2003, 07:14 PM   #11
TSR6

I switched to synthetic about 4-5,000 miles ago. It did start leaking after the switch.

More than likely, what happened is the seals probably had sludge build up on them. Synthetic does a good job of cleaning out the internals of your engine, and probably removed this sludge, exposing an area for oil to leak out.

It leaked bad at one point, enough to add an oil additive to it, and enough that my dad was suggesting to drain it, and put Dino back in.

Synthetic is also suposed to soften older seals, if it's true or not, i do not know, but it leaks about 1/2 of what it used to. I haven't top'ed it off for quite a while now.

The only thing I did after changing to synthetic, was to change the oil filter about 1K ago, and I will probably change the oil once the new filter hits 3K.
Unread 01-25-2003, 07:19 PM   #12
JeepGuyRyan

there are many vehicles out there who still get 200,000+ miles on them before the engine goes with just regular oil, I really don't see any point in changing over and ******* over the extra $$$ when chances are my vehicle will do just fine off of regular 10W30 oil. Most people won't even keep their vehicle for 200,000 miles so if there is any benifit in the long run to useing synthetics I just don't see it.

Just my opinion.
Unread 01-25-2003, 07:22 PM   #13
TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepGuyRyan
there are many vehicles out there who still get 200,000+ miles on them before the engine goes with just regular oil, I really don't see any point in changing over and ******* over the extra $$$ when chances are my vehicle will do just fine off of regular 10W30 oil. Most people won't even keep their vehicle for 200,000 miles so if there is any benifit in the long run to useing synthetics I just don't see it.

Just my opinion.
My Jeep has 127,900 on it. Only part of the car I worry about anymore is accually the engine. Had a anti-freeze leak today from a fitting that worked itself loose.

The only real work it needs, is to the NSS. Needs to be cleaned.
Unread 01-27-2003, 04:26 PM   #14
brad335

I have heard the same thing about synthetic...possibly oil leaks. Go with Penzoil High Milage Vehicle. Its great...
Unread 01-27-2003, 04:47 PM   #15
TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by brad335
I have heard the same thing about synthetic...possibly oil leaks. Go with Penzoil High Milage Vehicle. Its great...
It really isnt a problem anymore though. I think the seals have finally softened up and slowed on the leak. It still leaks a little bit, but I do not notice unless the car is sitting for a couple days, or when i get under the car on the lift, you can see where its dripping on the pan a bit.

I just carry an extra quart around just in case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.