Sylvania Silverstars ZJ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sylvania Silverstars ZJ??

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-26-2003, 04:22 PM   #1
KillerZJ

Sylvania Silverstars ZJ??

How would the silverstars look on a ZJ with badly faded plastic lens? They look like complete crap now. dull from any angle. Could I tell a big diff.?

Wow no pictures in sig? F*cking gay.[/FONT]
KillerZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2003, 06:15 PM   #2
ChrisinVA

This doesn't apply to the ZJ's, but I had them on my XJ and aside from the blue tint I couldn't tell a difference in light output. I was told a separate wiring harness would increase that, but I put some PIAA driving lights on instead.
ChrisinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2003, 06:57 PM   #3
KillerZJ

well that does help some though. thanks. i have a friend that just bought the sylvanias for his TJ and he said he could tell a huge diff. but i havent seen them yet. how do the PIAAs look? and yours is a sealed beam so it wont fade because it uses glass of course. mine is a freakin plastic. is there anything i could spray on some new ones to keep them from fading?

Unread 02-26-2003, 08:40 PM   #4
ChrisinVA

Well, lets just say I get flashed a LOT when my PIAA's are on. I currently have them wired separately, but need to hook them up to my high beams. Amazingly, they're just the standard 55w bulbs!
ChrisinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2003, 06:41 AM   #5
KillerZJ

well i would have to get the new lenses to make the silverstars look good. thanks for help though.

Unread 02-28-2003, 04:15 PM   #6
JeepStangGuy
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I have the SilverStars in my 97 ZJ I polished the lens to get rid of the yellow tint, but I have been getting flashed alot while driving with them (So I return the favor with all my lights), They are a bit brighter and I have heard the PIAA's are much brighter but 2x the price, I paid $50 for the set for mine

Also they are much better than the dipped cheap rip off you buy of ebay, My GF put some of those in her car for a few days and they were just cheesy.

David
JeepStangGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2003, 04:26 PM   #7
daryl.com

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepStangGuy
I have the SilverStars in my 97 ZJ I polished the lens to get rid of the yellow tint, but I have been getting flashed alot while driving with them (So I return the favor with all my lights), They are a bit brighter and I have heard the PIAA's are much brighter but 2x the price, I paid $50 for the set for mine

Also they are much better than the dipped cheap rip off you buy of ebay, My GF put some of those in her car for a few days and they were just cheesy.

David
I have a 200 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 and just bought the Silverstars. How in the hell do you get the head light assembly off? I took the screw out and pulled, but jeeeez.
daryl.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2003, 07:37 AM   #8
KillerZJ

mine is a 95 i couldnt find screws. guess it takes alot of muscle.

Unread 05-06-2003, 06:48 AM   #9
The DJ

taking off headlights

First take off the corner lens (see bulb replacement in manual also) by opening the hood and unscrewing the first one up top. Then the second is under the lens itself. Once this is out of the way, disconnect your headlight bulb wire plug and now you can get a good grip on the edge of the headlight and pull it out one side at a time. It's held in by ball/socket holders.......hope this helps!
87 RX-7 Turbo II GT35R,15 psi, Lots of Fuel,FMIC, Microtech,3"Exh, 435 RWHP
The DJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2003, 02:06 PM   #10
KillerZJ

Thanks DJ. But not to be all correct, but I just pulled like hell and it snapped loose w/ no headlight harness broken or anything.

Unread 05-06-2003, 06:38 PM   #11
kbohip

Quote:
Originally posted by daryl.com

I have a 200 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 and just bought the Silverstars. How in the hell do you get the head light assembly off? I took the screw out and pulled, but jeeeez.
I had the same problem with mine. You just have to pull REALLY hard to get the things out. I actually scratched the paint underneath the headlight assembly on the one side doing it.

I tried the Silverstars a while back and I didn't like them. I only turned them on in my garage and couldn't see much of a difference. I decided to try them again but this time I took them out at night and I'm very happy with them. Their the closest I've seen to the real HID bulbs yet. When you put them in, stand in front of your Jeep about 20 or 30 feet looking at the front at a slight angle. They look really nice.

I also used the high beam 9005 bulbs in the low beam sockets. They still don't seem any brighter than the stock halogen low beams, but they are a whiter light. I also have to reaim the beams though.
kbohip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2003, 09:52 PM   #12
The DJ

bulbs

No problem, glad it came out easier for you!
Actually, everyone here has to learn that it's not the wattage or type of bulb as the LIMITING factor, it's our old reflector design.
The DJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2003, 05:05 PM   #13
kbohip

Ya, the wattage difference between the high beams and low beams is only 9 watts anyway. I figured every little bit helps though.
kbohip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.